🔕 🔔

Food52 website question: regarding # views in the recipes

I am a bit confused about # views in the recipes. I went to see a couple of recipes with 0 views, and after I come back to them after little while, the views is still 0. Does anybody know why?

asked by foofaraw almost 3 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hi lleello --

In order to take it easy on our servers, the tech team adjusted the way view counts are updated -- they take longer to update, but recipe view counts do go up over time.

And just FYI, the best way to share feedback about the site or let us know about a technical issue is to send us an email - [email protected].

No, the counter of one recipe that I totally remember clicked on 2 days ago does not goes up. I wonder if it is due to the user's computer setting, in particular AdBlock or Ghostery that block the trackers needed for the recipe counter. That's why I am asking in here.
But yes, I would totally love to check that with you.

4992abb2 70b6 4d52 9762 cd9db33f05de  avatar
alp.aker

Alp is a senior software engineer at Food52

Hi lleello. Alp from the Food52 tech team here. The updates aren't a matter of time, actually. What happens is that we wait until a recipe has gained 25 or so new views and then update the count. So you'll see the view counts jump up in steps of a couple of dozen views at a time. If you haven't seen a recipe's count go up yet, that means it still has some more views to go before the visible count is updated.

I realize this is non-ideal, and we'll probably move to real-time updates for the view counts in the not too distant future. Sorry for any confusion!

Hi Alp, thanks for the information. The only thing that cause me to ask that is that the number of views of a recipe may effect people's inclination to check it, which could very well be important during a recipe contest (especially that a contest only lasts for a few days). I saw that some recipes are already commented but still have 0 views.

Lindsay, thanks for connecting me with Alp too!

I had noticed in the past that certain recipes would start with X number views even from the send it was published? Are you sure things aren't more glitchy? The system does seem unideal

Ce1b26e4 1637 4449 b3aa f36812abc1d2  image

Community picks