Yet another egg question

Hello all, happy Friday. I'm hoping all the experts here can help with kind of a fun question. I looked through a few hundred of the past questions but didn't see anything relevant (though I did see another egg question earlier today -- lots of egg questions today!)

I moved into a new house last week and we immediately set to doing some yardwork. In preparing to transplant a small dogwood (it's a lovely tree but in the wrong place -- it blocks the view from my kitchen window) my DH and I found a nest with 3 small eggs in it.

They’re greyish- blue, speckled with dark grey (black?) spots and maybe a little smaller than a ping-pong ball. Does anyone know what species they are? Could I substitute them in for regular eggs (ounce for ounce of course -- I'm a baker and usually go by weight) in some shortbread I’m making for a party next week?

Oh, and sorry I don't have photos of the eggs. We still haven't unpacked the camera and my cell phone is ancient -- one of those that only makes phone calls!

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings April 1, 2011

Are you serious? They're wild bird's eggs! Let the nest be until they hatch - and then move the tree. Besides - those eggs have fetuses in them, and unless you want a mouthful of incomplete feathers and bones - I don't think you want to use them. Really hoping this is an April Fool's post.

Queen of Spoons
Queen of Spoons April 1, 2011

Well, since they are likely to be fertile eggs, you'd definitely want to candle them before cracking them since they could be quite a bit more developed than just a yolk. Candling is shining a bright light behind them to see what's inside.

Helen's All Night Diner

Put them back! They sound like robin eggs...

usuba dashi
usuba dashi April 1, 2011

Do not transplant a dogwood in the Spring . . .it will not survive. Wait until Fall for success! I haven't a bloody clue about the egg.

macollins
macollins April 1, 2011

Those actually sound like house sparrow's eggs. Incubation and fledgling times are pretty short for songbirds, why not leave them alone for a few weeks? It actually sounds like a lovely view to have...birds in a flowering dogwood.

Without knowing which dogwood species you have, I also caution against transplanting it now...if you don't want to wait until fall, at least wait until after the spring blossoms have emerged and are spent.

Greenstuff April 1, 2011

Happy April!

Penny Lane
Penny Lane April 1, 2011

Happy April Fool's!