Looking for an octoberfest soup recipe idea. We have soup day at our school and my turn is next week. Help!

No dairy

asked by Richard Johnson almost 4 years ago

It's your lucky day. Queensashy has an Oktoberfest Soup posted. Just go to the search function above, type in Oktoberfest Soup (with a "k") and search in recipes. It looks like a simple but tasty soup.

lem monade

Thank you for pointing out that recipe, it sounds absolutely perfect!

lem monade

(However, many traditional german sausages contain a bit of cream, so make sure you get one without any in order to have a dairy-free soup!)

Lem, I think I remember Marie Callendars serving their cheese and broccoli soup that way. That was back in high school when I thought that restaurant was the cat's meow. I think I was really just there for the coconut cream pie.

lem monade

Strong beef broth or consommé is one of the most traditional ways to start any Bavarian meal – with plenty of chopped chives on top and anything from liver or semolina dumplings, tiny meatballs made with sausage meat (usually including dairy), to pasta or (savoury) pancake strips inside.
A classic vegetarian (and easily dairy-free) option would be potato soup: add a bit of marjoram and/or juniper while cooking and fresh chervil as a garnish, with the option to add a dollop of sour cream or cut-up wiener sausage.
Most in line with the Oktoberfest-theme might be a beer soup, usually made with beef stock and dark bock beer; sometimes caramelized onions and cheese are added, sometimes it's thickened with a roux and/or a mixture of sour cream and egg yolks.

I love the idea of the beer soup with cheese and onions. When I lived in Eugene, Oregon, we used to drive an hour North for beer cheese soup which was served only on Sundays. That and a big chunk of bread hot out of the oven was all a poor college kid needed. So good!!

lem monade

You know, there are also those versions where the onion-beer-cheese soup is served *inside* a bowl made from a hollowed out (mini) loaf of bread… ;)

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

This butternut squash and apple recipe from Orangette is delicious, easy to make in large volume, and vegan (if you use vegetable stock):
http://orangette.blogspot...