Cheesecake: Which Kind?

Rose Levy Beranbaum or Classic NYC? Stopping at the grocery store on the way home from work. I'm not a huge cheesecake aficiando, but I've promised to produce one for Sunday brunch. RLB's version has 3 cups of sour cream; SmittenKitchen's NYC version has none; Cooks Illustrated has both. In short -- I need a recommendation for a straight-forward, classic, "this is what your guests will expect" cheesecake recipe.

HalfPint October 17, 2014

I think the Cooks Illustrated cheesecake is a good compromise. I've made it many times and it never fails to impress people. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned. Personally, for a classic cheesecake, I like the CI recipe (for the NY-style cheesecake with the strawberry sauce) since it has a lovely creamy texture and a nice tang from the small amount of sour cream.

AntoniaJames October 17, 2014

Thanks for the tip, HalfPint! You are so knowledgeable, always. ;o)

christina
christina October 17, 2014

I don't think NY cheesecake classically has sour cream-that gives off a much different taste. If that's what you're going for, I'd err on a solely cream cheese based one or one with very little sc.

Patricia
Patricia October 17, 2014

The Smitten Kitchen recipe looks close to the original Lindy's cheesecake recipe ( easy to find online ). It's always nice when a dessert has a story. You can serve it with lightly sugared fruit, or orange liqueur marinated strawberries, sautéed apples, etc. I think that's nicer than goopy "pie fillong" type toppings - and more refreshing.

Patricia
Patricia October 17, 2014

Oops. Pie filling-style, I meant.