sides for lamb shanks - not potato based?

Made the lamb shank recipe from last week. Normally I would think to serve with risotto or a mashed potato type side because of the delicious sauce. However, my wife isn't eating rice, potatoes or pasta. Any suggestions?

asked by seth10597 about 4 years ago

Tarragon

roasted butternut squash?

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Is she avoiding carbs? I found this recipe for cauliflower"rice" that I'm planning to try soon:
http://www.paleocupboard.com/seasoned-cauliflower-rice.html

Matilda Luk

Mashed cauliflower? Or mashed squash?

jamcook

Polenta or white beans cooked with herbs (lots of recipes out there) would also be good. Personally, when in doubt, I am always for potatoes, but that's just my own preference... Probably in my genes.

I heartily agree. White beans scented with an abundance of fresh rosemary and olive oil are very traditional.

savorthis

I agree on the polenta- and making a "fresh" version with real corn in it would be good. I also love a crisp salad with shaved fennel, orange and herbs with lamb shanks- it cuts through the fat nicely. You could also make chickpea "fries" like these: https://food52.com/recipes.... I had added sweet potato to mine, but you could do kabocha squash too.

THE MATH CHEF

Hi - I would do my Vivaldi's Four Seasons Salad - it would be a good counterpoint to the lamb shanks - https://food52.com/recipes...

Molly Fuller

Spaghetti squash!