Pumpkin guts - what to do with them?

The kids just finished scraping out their pumpkins. The seeds are roasting, what to do with the stringy pulp? Can I do something with it? I have a lot. My pumpkin experience is limited to roasting the flesh and the stuff in cans.

Susan W October 25, 2014

I was just googling this very thing. Apparently, you can puree it and add it
to rice or risotto. Or..my favorite idea is to saute it in oil, add onions and other veggie scraps like carrots and celery. Then add water and simmer for 30-60 minutes. You are left with a golden broth to make any recipe that calls for chicken or veg stock. The poster made a mushroom soup with it.

Voted the Best Reply!

nutcakes
nutcakes October 25, 2014

Add to dogfood. Compost.

SKK October 25, 2014

If you do not have a dog, compost for sure.

klrcon
klrcon October 26, 2014

Infuse chicken stock with it the next time you're making risotto or any other grain or soup with any kind of pumpkin /squash/ roasted/fall veggie theme to it. Or just make a quick veggie stock out of it. You'll be surprised at how much flavor it adds. I usually freeze it in my stock bag and then just pull it out it out along with some leek tops when I want to add that flavor to stock.

Susan
Susan October 26, 2014

Feed it to your chickens. They adore pumpkin guts.

amysarah October 26, 2014

Love the term 'pumpkin guts.' Anyway, no chickens here, making stock with them is a great idea, will try. We usually just compost it. But a note of caution: as I'd heard pumpkin is good for dogs, while cooking with plain canned pumpkin I'd put a few spoons in my dog's food before - which he gobbled rapturously with no ill effects. So I didn't worry when he sneakily consumed a big chunk of a freshly carved pumpkin (besides my kids' reactions to the ruins of their masterpiece.) He's a Lab, with a typical cast iron stomach. But it caused him rather severe gastro distress - will spare you the details. Suffice to say it was fun for no one, especially him. Vet said that while cooked is fine, raw pumpkin, not a good idea. So maybe some dogs can handle it raw, but beware that many have this reaction.

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant October 26, 2014

How funny, my dog Norman went nuts for them when we were carving them. I'd never seen such a thing, you would have thought they were chicken livers. We did limit his exposure to them as I feared what you described.

Maedl October 28, 2014

Elephants and gorillas like pumpkins, too. I worked for a large zoo, and one of our local farmers would donate a truckload of pumpkins after Halloween. They were divided between the elephants and gorillas. The elephants would break them by putting their foot on the top of one and pressing down. It made a wonderful noise.

Susan W October 28, 2014

So true Maedl. The elephants at the Portland zoo have a pumpkin party every year. It's the only time that I visit the zoo. This year, there was a baby to join in.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo October 26, 2014

Boil them in water, then in syrup (with a cinnamon stick And lemon peel). Google for “cabello de angel recipe” and adjust the process.

Panfusine
Panfusine October 26, 2014

I inherited a 'gut recipe from my great grand mother here's the link. Its a very traditional south Indian flavor
http://www.panfusine.com/2012/01/taste-from-waste-ii-pumpkin-brain.html
for a slight variation, Saute the guts with oil and add it to canned chickpeas along with seasonings to make a hummus.

jaime
jaime October 28, 2014

i like adding them to spiced porridge: throw them in a slow cooker with steel cut oats, water, sweetener of choice, and some warming spices and some chopped apple for fun.

jaime
jaime October 28, 2014

i forgot to include that they require a bit of processing before adding them to the porridge -- pureeing them (with a little water, if needed) works well for that.

Susan W October 28, 2014

I have no pumpkin carving at my house. Kids are grown and I don't like doing it. I have a display of 3 ghost pumpkins on my porch so the kids know the witch is handing out treats. I invaded my neighbors and absconded with guts. I tossed them into my crockpot of simmering chx stock this morning. I just checked on it. It's SUCH a pretty color. Now I want to add guts to all the things.

Tashipluto
Tashipluto October 29, 2014

I hate to mention this, but do be aware that unless you are using an organic pumpkin, you really shouldn't eat any of the seeds or guts. "Jack o Lanterns" (as opposed to sugar pumpkins and other squash) are considered "decorative products" and are not subject to regulations for growing "food products". Fortunately, nowadays most farmers are aware that people are eating the pumpkin seeds and grow them as food, but if you got your pumpkin from an unknown source, you might not want to eat it. (As told to me by an old-time pumpkin farmer on the North Fork).