🔕 🔔

how to cook buttercup squash

I bought a buttercup squash for the first time. I had planned on cutting in half or quarters, cleaning and roasting but the sticker on it suggested "roast whole like a potato". I tried it but I ended up wondering if anybody actually uses this methody. The pulp and seeds seemed like a rather unpleasant stew when I cut it open that seemed to add a somewhat off aroma. I ended up cleaning, quartering and topping with butter and broiling for a few minutes to dry it out a bit. It came out well but I am curious about the directions. I did find this a much more convenient squash to use for both size and easy of cutting up that my standby Butternut.

asked by caninechef over 2 years ago

I like your idea. Or, you could peel, clean and cube. Then roast in a hot oven with savory or sweet spices. I also like adding winter squash to my stews in place of potatoes. Coincidentally, there is a tutorial and recipe for winter squash and kale salad right on the splash page of this site.

I usually do what you were planning to do: half (or quarter if large), clean, and roast with skin on. I like the browned edges and slightly drier meat you get when it's roasted cut-side up, but go cut-side down if you prefer moister meat. Sometimes I cut them into thinner wedges (skin on--buttercups are a pain to peel) and roast those flat on a sheet pan.

My mother used to put a few ounces of raw breakfast sausage or Italian sausage into each half when they were about half-done. The sausage cooks as the squash finishes, making a nice savory-porky contrast to the sweet squash flesh. I think I'll make that tonight--buttercup's my favorite squash, hands down.

I tried roasting whole and cleaning afterward once, but didn't like the result: the meat was too wet, and cleaning the guts was more of a chore when they're steaming hot than cold.

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

Buttercup Squashes are lovely and often hard to find. They are alittle more dense and orange than a butternut squash, but can be used interchangeably in any recipe calling for butternut. They vary in size from quite large to almost as small as an acorn squash . If you want to roast them, I cut them in half , remove the seeds , brush with oil or butter and roast them cut side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment or foil, if,they are small , you can turn them over when they are about halfway roasted and fill the cavities with chopped apple , cinnamon , butter and maple syrup, and continue to roast until every thing is tender.

Thanks all for the comments. I was really curious if anyone actually used the "cook whole like a Potato" method as I did not like the results. It does not sound like it is a popular idea.

I had never heard of that method...sounds like it would just yield squoosh and mush, glad you were able to save it .

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I've done it--once. What I found was that seed and pulp (or guts in another hotline discussion) removal was actually more difficult rather than less difficult after cooking. With a raw squash, a nice round spoon scrapes everything out. Once it's cooked, you almost need scissors to separate the meat from the pulp.