🔕 🔔

Steel cut oats

Can I make them in the crockpot tonight for the while work week? Will they last til Friday if I package them all up tomorrow morning?

asked by kimhw about 3 years ago

Sure, I do it in my rice cooker. You might need to thin with water or milk before re heating b/c it will thicken in the refrigerator.

3c5c0ab0 818f 4531 b800 bfa3357234e6  img 6217

Sure, but it does get mushy.

(I tend to undercook my oats because I don't like them mushy, but that's just me)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You'll probably have to add a little milk to each serving that you heat up individually to break up the clumps, but it should taste fine. I do this often. I prefer oats freshly made, but it's nice to be able to have a quick hot breakfast.

ktr

I do this frequently. You may want to butter the crockpot before making them to prevent sticking. I've noticed sticking happens with my older crockpot because it has a hot spot.

334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

Another quick way to have steel cut oats during the work week is to make a big batch and freeze it in individual portions (a silicone muffin pan works really well for this). Then in the morning you just thaw a portion in the microwave.