Your favorite uses for chickpea flour?

Apart from socca/chickpea pancakes, how do you use chickpea flour? Especially interested if there are any Indian or bread recipes using chickpea flour/besan/gram - thank you!

asked by JuliaB over 3 years ago

Do you consider socca as a chick pea flour pancake? That is my favorite use for the flour--it is a thin layer of chick pea flour batter fried and then topped with tomatoes and herbs. It is a street food in southern France and the northwestern coast of Italy, but is easy to make at home.

Sorry, when I read your question the first time, I didn't see you had included socca. Never mind!

Posie (Harwood) Brien

An awesome way to use it is to make chickpea fries: basically cook it as you would a very thick polenta, spread it on a baking sheet and refrigerate it, slice it into 1 inch strips, and fry them in a skillet in olive oil. For baking, I've substituted chickpea flour for a small amount of whole wheat in a number of baking recipes (banana bread is good) and it's worked well.

I have used it to dust chicken or rabbit before browning and braising and it's delicious - a different experience that an AP flour dredged protein. Then in the braise you can add some whole chick peas, maybe tomato and fresh herbs and white wine - yum!

I can't wait to make this and the other dishes above. I've been eyeballing chick pea flour in the bulk section, but wasn't sure what to do with it. I'll defrost some of my frozen fire roasted summer tomatoes for the occasion.

Oh my, Abbie! I have everything in the house to make this! I'm pulling the rabbit out of the fridge as soon as I get home this evening.

Droplet

You could also use it to make cookies that resemble the ever popular "Mexican wedding cakes" by substituting part of the all purpose flour with chickpea flour. I think they are called Nan Khatai, but I could be spelling it incorrectly.

not at all Indian, but I've been using chick pea flour to make brownies and other bar cookies gluten free. I use it in equal weights to the flour.

Similar to Abbie's idea of dusting meat before browning, use chickpea flour to make a tasty crust for fish fingers or dumplings or seafood patties.

Dan S

One of my favorite uses for besan (and leftover vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, potatos) is in vegetable pakoras. They're cut into discs and fried a bit like tempura. You put the chickpea flour in the batter, and then you make enough batter for all the veggie's you've got.

Naomi Duguid's Burma has a recipe for "Silky Shan Soup" that uses chickpea flour. The basic recipe is to whisk 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 2 cups water until smooth (strain out lumps if needed). Bring 6 cups water to a boil, then slowly add the freshly whisked mixture in while stirring. Cook over medium, stirring and scraping the bottom for 5 minutes until smooth and silky. Reduce heat to low, cook and stir a couple more minutes. Serve immediately with cooked noodles and cilantro, with condiments/toppings as desired (shallot or garlic oil, palm sugar water, chile oil, garlic-chile sauce, pea tendrils, lettuce). If you don't want to use it immediately, cover tightly to prevent a skin from forming and set aside. Whisk in water to thin when reheating.

JuliaB

Thanks everyone, and thank you hardlikearmour - that was exactly what I was looking for! I read this fabulous book last month and wanted to make just this recipe, then forgot about it. Excited!

Panfusine

Besan is an indispensable staple as a binding ingredient in Indian vegetarian cooking, in lieu of eggs. Steamed cakes (dhokla), in yogurt stew(kadhi) , as a batter for coating deep fried peanuts, and deep fried potato hush puppies (batata vada) and even a couple of desserts (boondi ladoo, & maa ladoo -( https://food52.com/recipes...)) to name a few.

strawberrygirl

This sandwich: http://www.myrecipes.com...