A question about a recipe: Barbara Kafka's Simplest Roast Chicken

I have a question about the recipe "Barbara Kafka's Simplest Roast Chicken" from Genius Recipes. Would limes work just as well as lemons in this recipe? I was thinking of stuffing the cavity with limes and a quartered yellow onion.

• Posted by: Araceli
  • November 6, 2014

Susan W November 6, 2014

Sure. Obviously a different flavor, but you can definitely sub limes if you prefer.

ChefJune November 6, 2014

I'd give you a qualified "maybe." Most lemons are quite a bit juicier than most of the limes we see around here. That could make quite a difference.

phip
phip November 6, 2014

Here in my garden in California there are many different citrus trees. I have found over the years that when a recipe is based on a lemon flavor such as this one it is advisable to stick with the lemon. On the other hand lemon is no substitute for the delicious use of lime in Mexican and South East Asian cooking.

Susan W November 6, 2014

There is no right or wrong here. I make two lime roasted chickens (one with a honey lime glaze) and they are both amazing. Limes are smaller and some more juicy, some less juicy than lemons. I either use more limes, poke little holes in them to release juice and flavor or cut them into wedges.