A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits

25361cb0 eda3 4724 8b03 68c83bf752f2  15720424702 9f34c06f4a k

I have a question about the recipe "Buttermilk Biscuits" from erinmcdowell. In your article you mentioned using self-rising white lily but the recipe calls for all-purpose?

asked by jlavoie over 3 years ago

I only see ap flour (white lily is the best) in the recipe. Is there more of an article than the short paragraph by Erin?

Susan W, there is also this post, on "Baking Basics": https://food52.com/blog... Cheers! ;o)

Thanks AJ. The OP linked that as well, but it still wasn't clear to me. I've given up coffee two days ago, so my confusion could be blamed on that. ;)

I'm not Erin, but I've been making biscuits with White Lily flour since I moved to the East Coast where the flour is much higher in protein than in my native midwest. I personally prefer the all-purpose flour and add my own baking powder to the self-rising. The recipe Erin posted should yield you biscuits like you see in that beautiful photo.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

You might try sending Erin a private message via this site, since she doesn't seem to have seen your question.

jlavoie

This is what I read.
https://food52.com/blog...

That is confusing. It makes the recipe vague. As Diana suggested, I would send Erin a message. If you look at the comments, there are suggestions, but I would want to get the info from Erin.

meganvt01

This is a good question. If I use non self rising do I need to add more baking powder than the recipe calls for? Or does the recipe assume the flour is without leavening?

frizz

I've read the comments on the article, the recipe, and here. It seems that there is no answer here. Since there are no comments about how to successfully make this recipe, I'd prefer that Food52 not promote it.

I agree. I also suggest that the Food52 senior editors adopt a policy that anyone on the Food52 staff who posts a recipe have the courtesy to respond to comments and questions on any related articles, in the recipes themselves, and on the Hotline. The credibility and reliability of the site is affected by this. ;o) P.S. It would also be helpful if more testing by home cooks were done. More and more lately, I've been disappointed by staff-contributed recipes, which suggests that in the rush constantly to publish "new" content, less testing is being done.

i would also note that even though a question in another thread was raised regarding the weight of the flour called for -- 24 ounces, which is not 5 cups -- the recipe has not been changed to 22 ounces, which is the quantity Erin determined is the correct amount. (If using White Lily, according to their conversion ratios, the amount would be 21.) ;o)