Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

help me save my cast iron!

a person accidentally left my cast iron over a hot burner, and it, well, burned -- a lot of the seasoning seems to have come off, and the cooking surface is more grey than black. How do I save it? Just reseason it?

asked by Marian Bull about 2 years ago

I think you'll be fine re-seasoning it. Cast iron is pretty indestructible. I'm about to re-season mine. Someone "helpfully" set it to soak! so it got rusty. No problem starting over.

I did the same thing to mine when I walked away from it while drying it on a burner. If you have seasoned it properly, it is just the polymerized oil that has turned to ash. Just scrub it all off and re-season like you just bought it.