Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I have a cast iron griddle/grill that's sticky the griddle side and has a lot of caked on gunk on the grill side. How do I get it off

The griddle side feels sticky and leaves black specks on any food I cook on that side. The grill side sticks like crazy and has tons of caked on grease( I'm assuming) that I can't seem to take off. HOW DO I CLEAN IT? It's my first cast iron product and I want to be able to get rid of all other teflon products and change to cast iron.

asked by Lily Moreno 12 months ago

Here are some useful tips from thekitchn
http://www.thekitchn.com...
I would just modify what they say on one point. They advise NEVER to wash with soap and water because it will remove the seasoning. But sometimes, I find, you have to wash to get rid of sticky baked-on residue and re-season (as I did yesterday after making a batch of apple sauce).
Treated right, cast iron pans last for generations.

http://www.thekitchn.com...

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Toss in oven, run self-cleaning cycle. When cool wipe off soot.

Alternatively, toss on BBQ grill, close lid, set to maximum temperature. Use wire brush to clean off; I use a cheap $5 paint stripper from the hardware store. Let cool then wipe off any soot.

Either way, you will need to reseason the item.

Good luck.

ATL

cv, self-cleaning oven for this is genius! I've had the same problem with cast iron.

Likewise, you can toss BBQ grill grates into the oven as well during the self-cleaning cycle.

Oven self-cleaning cycles are hot enough to carbonize every food speck into a powdery ash.