🔕 🔔

I have a cast iron griddle/grill that's sticky the griddle side and has a lot of caked on gunk on the grill side. How do I get it off

The griddle side feels sticky and leaves black specks on any food I cook on that side. The grill side sticks like crazy and has tons of caked on grease( I'm assuming) that I can't seem to take off. HOW DO I CLEAN IT? It's my first cast iron product and I want to be able to get rid of all other teflon products and change to cast iron.

asked by Lily Moreno almost 2 years ago

Here are some useful tips from thekitchn
http://www.thekitchn.com...
I would just modify what they say on one point. They advise NEVER to wash with soap and water because it will remove the seasoning. But sometimes, I find, you have to wash to get rid of sticky baked-on residue and re-season (as I did yesterday after making a batch of apple sauce).
Treated right, cast iron pans last for generations.

http://www.thekitchn.com...

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Toss in oven, run self-cleaning cycle. When cool wipe off soot.

Alternatively, toss on BBQ grill, close lid, set to maximum temperature. Use wire brush to clean off; I use a cheap $5 paint stripper from the hardware store. Let cool then wipe off any soot.

Either way, you will need to reseason the item.

Good luck.

ATL

cv, self-cleaning oven for this is genius! I've had the same problem with cast iron.

Likewise, you can toss BBQ grill grates into the oven as well during the self-cleaning cycle.

Oven self-cleaning cycles are hot enough to carbonize every food speck into a powdery ash.