How do I clean my cast iron stove top griddle (flat side) after grilling bread? Lots of welded on bread and roughened surface

When I grill bread for bruschetta using my cast-iron griddle, the bread seems to attach itself and burn on in a way that is very hard to remove. I usually end up having to take a scraper to it and carefully run that across the surface. Not ideal because that has a bad effect on the surface. Gone is my beautiful black patina :-(

wcbixby
wcbixby May 23, 2011

I wonder if your griddle is properly seasoned since bread, it seems to me, really shouldn't stick to cast iron in the first place.

Since you're not dealing with a pan in which you could boil water to loosen the sticky stuff, you might try scrubbing the griddle with a paste made of kosher salt and a little bit of water.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I have an idea, try heating the griddle to very hot then turn the flame down and let it cool to toasting temp. I have a better time with food release when I do that.

seabirdskitchen
seabirdskitchen May 23, 2011

Great thoughts, thanks. I thought it was properly seasoned but maybe not. The rock hard mountains of carbon are very unattractive...
So scrub and reseason it is.

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy May 23, 2011

Deglaze like a pan. Use more oil next time.

latoscana
latoscana May 23, 2011

Also, allow the food to really heat up on the griddle before trying to remove - when it's really cooked (browned), it should release cleanly.

spuntino
spuntino May 23, 2011

On the rare occasion that we clean our cast iron, We scrub ours with veggie oil and salt. Works like a charm.

WannabeBaker
WannabeBaker May 23, 2011

Yeah, sounds like you might want to reseason it - it's something that takes a long time and needs to be maintained. I should know - I need to season mine. :(