Tuna, recipe

I have a recipe that requires flaxseed meal, I want to know can I replace it with flour, or just not use it at all, here is the recipe

Parmesan Tuna Patties by BamaGal
Page 29 - Neighborhood Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 (6 3/4-oz) can albacore tuna
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons ground flaxmeal
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash onion powder
1 dash salt

Directions:
Drain tuna. Blend all ingredients in a medium size bowl and form into patties. Fry in oil (I use olive oil, but you may use cooking spray) until brown on edges. Turn. Fry until done.

Contributor's Note: These are VERY GOOD and creamy! Takes away the "fishy" flavor of the tuna. Fry up extras to refrigerate for snacks or quick lunches later.

Editor's Note: Flaxmeal, made of ground flaxseed, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which appear to help lower the risk of heart disease. Flaxseed adds a mild nutty flavor to foods and should be included regularly in a healthy diet. Weight loss surgery patients should use ground flaxmeal rather than flaxseed for digestibility reasons.

Recipe serves four. Per serving: 284 calories, 32 grams protein, 15 grams fat (3 saturated) and 4 grams carbohydrate.

asked by Renee almost 4 years ago

Julie Myers
Julie Myers

Julie is an Editorial Assistant at Food52.

You should be fine to omit the flax meal. In this recipe, it seems to only serve as added health value and doesn't affect the structure of the patties.

Renee

Ok, thanks! I think the egg will hold it together to fry. It's just like making salmon croquettes, which I usually add a little flour to my mixture and it turns out great.

Renee

One more thing, what is the difference between regular tuna packed in water and the albacore tuna they have in the recipe...I just have regular tuna

Julie Myers
Julie Myers

No difference - albacore is just the species of tuna. You'll be fine with what you have.

I think you could leave it out, or I would probably substitute bread crumbs for the flax meal. Have you had these before? Parmesan and tuna don't seem to go that well together to me; I'm curious as to the taste.

Renee

I haven't tried the recipe yet, will let you know after I try it

Renee

Just had the parmesan tuna patties and they were delicious!!!