Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears and Pistachios

430f27a7 2296 4683 96eb c8a5feeab80a  2014 1021 roasted brussel sprouts with pears pistachios 278

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears and Pistachios" from Bevi. Make Ahead Plan?

asked by DBSNEAKERS about 2 years ago
Aa6e8268 2564 4ed0 9d71 7684a15e1b04  untitled
Julie Myers

Julie is an Editorial Assistant at Food52.

I worry that roasting the Brussels and pears in advance will result in a lackluster, potentially soggy side. I would suggest that you prep the Brussels and pears and toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper the night before. Continue with the roasting instructions the next day so that they are fresh and vibrant when served.

D311d02f d9fd 4d5e a727 ec9db034559f  img 1765.jpg

I figured. ;) Was hoping for a secret trick! I find these are SPECTACULAR when right out of the oven... timing is everything and timing is tough on turkey day. Oh well.

Cb1f39cf 01c0 446e bf21 2ac50f587205  twitter

What I do for something like this is prep by cutting, chopping and keeping dry and wet ingredients in different containers, on a sheet tray, in the fridge. That way when you pop out, it's a simple toss and bake.

I'm totally with ashtonkeefe on this one. Do not ever, ever make Brussels sprouts on one day and serve them the next. Don't even wait more than an hour to serve them, if you respect your guests, and yourself. The flavor takes a dramatic turn for the worst, seriously, and they get spongy/flaccid -- really unappealing.
I always trim, cut and put into a container with ice cold water, which I put in the fridge right away. I've done this 2-3 days beforehand and it works great! Lately, I've been taking them out of the cold water and putting into room temperate water with a few pinches of salt dissolved in it, for a light brine for about 30 minutes before roasting or pan frying - a trick from the 1941 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" . . . . . much better than blanching, by the way. ;o)