i made a pot of beef stew got way way to much garlic & salt in it any suggestions

asked by Cindy Rose almost 4 years ago

Victoria Ross
Victoria Ross

Victoria is a Recipe Tester for Food52

That's always so disheartening when you taste it and it's off-balance! I would recommend adding some more beef and beef stock (or whatever liquid the recipe called for). I would follow the same method for adding the second batch: if you browned the beef the first time, then do the same again, add the cooking liquid and cook for 45-60 minutes before adding the new batch to the original batch. I would then cook the entire stew for another 45-60 minutes minimum so all the flavors meld. If there is too much for your pot, then put half of the new and original batch into one pot and half of each into another!

I feel your pain. I made a big pot of soup and decided a little sherry vinegar was just what it needed. Well, I went overboard. Totally ruined it. It was a pork ramen that I spent 2 days on. I did what thehappycook suggested even though it meant making more dashi and fooling around with chicken stock that was in my freezer rather than making more pork stock. Sigh. It worked and now I have enough soup to feed the town I live in.

Unfortunately, the "add-a-potato myth" is just that, a myth. Potatoes do soak up salt but they soak up water at the same time. Sadly, dilution--adding more liquid, or like the happycook suggests, adding more of everything including the liquid--is the only answer. Hopefully, you have some friends who'll love to help you eat it all up.

Michele

I would throw in a potato or 2 and add some red wine to dilute the liquid. You might try adding some mushrooms (porchini) that might mask the flavor of the garlic. If it is truly too strong I would serve the meat on some crusty French bread with only a little of the liquid. The rest I would dilute and use for stock.

kimhw

Make another half batch with no garlic. Mix together.