A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

79d09d1b e8cc 451c 8ece 5ce799a08b81  food52 11 01 11 5791

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise" from Merrill Stubbs. If I use a frozen pie crust do I need to thaw and bake it before adding the filling?

asked by Jena almost 4 years ago

Dawne Marie
Dawne Marie

Dawne is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Jena, In my experience, it's best to thaw and bake the crust before filling to avoid sogginess.

Jena

Thanks! That worked great!

Jena I just used frozen pie crust; directions usually say not to thaw first. Here's what I did:
preheat oven to 425º with a baking sheet inside (which I lined with aluminum foil). Raw crusts were first lined with aluminum foil and pierced with a fork through the foil. Par-bake 15 minutes, approx., until edges were lightly golden. Removed the crusts, turned off oven, and cooled to room temp. Filled the crusts (I was making pumpkin) then bake according to directions, again on a lined baking sheet. Worked beautifully.