🔕 🔔

Please help me plan a dinner for 25 strangers?

I need to cook a work-related dinner for about 25 people I've never met before. Most of them are women. I'd like to make everything ahead of time so that all I need to do on the night is to set out salads and heat the main dish in the oven. (I do have a smallish dual oven). I also have a crock pot and a rice cooker.
I'm thinking of chicken as the main protein since few people object to that. I have no idea if anyone is vegan/vegetarian/gluten intolerant.
Help me, Food52 geniuses!

asked by lloreen about 2 years ago

I like to do a tostada bar for large groups of people. It's fun and let's everyone make their tostada to suit their taste. Plus, you can pretty much prep everything in advance.

Will you have table seating for this group or is it a knees-up on chairs and sofas, etc.?

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Curry!
Curry is awesome, you can make vegetarian, vegan, meat, or better still a selection. Mild, you won't even know it's curry, to burn your taste buds off hot. Best of all, CURRY TASTES BETTER WHEN MADE THE DAY BEFORE. So you can get all your curry making chores done the day before, then make rice, cut up nan, and if you are feeling brave, fry up some popads.

My personal favourite oh-my-goodness,-I'm-cooking-for-boatloads-of-people-I-have-no-idea-their-dietary-preferences-menu looks like this:

- Very mild curry made from onions, chickpeas, and pataks mild curry paste. Maybe some tomatoes, maybe not. Fry onions, combine the rest, add water as needed, cook an hour or so.
-Spicy vegetarian curry like Aloo Gobi (easily made vegan)
-All the stuff in the back of my fridge extra spicy curry - which often has leftover roast beast (bones removed), loads of curry paste, onions, potatoes, lentils and other pulses, carrots... what have you.
-One spicy vegetable and pulse curry, probably vegan just in case.

At least one of each, meat, vegan, vegetarian, mild and spicy. Write up some labels of what's in it (including the make of curry paste if you didn't make your own - huge difference in dietary needs). Not all curry paste is vegan friendly!!! Pataks contains the fewest allergens and many of their curry pastes are soy free, animal free, nut free (but possible traces), &c. Jamie Oliver's book Food Revolution has some Kick-arse recipes for home made curry pastes, really easy ones with very few, readily available ingredients.

Make the curries the day(s) before, and reheated in slow cooker, oven, stove, whatever's available. I like oven best if you have enough pots for that.

Chutneys, also best made the day(s) before, or from a jar.

Salad is a great idea, with add-your-own dressing (lots of dietary problems with pre-dressed salad), as well as a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of balsamic for those of us who are super-sensitive to standard dressing ingredients (ie, vegans don't eat honey, mustard can contain bad things... &c).

I think papads are gluten free, but in case they aren't (or someone has issues with traces of gluten) I put some rice crackers out with some hummus (also made the day before, also vegan friendly).

Set it up like an Indian restaurant buffet, and sit back and watch them dig in.

Best of all, with curry you don't have to worry about getting the timing right for the different dishes, or carving the beast, or all those worrisome little details. Just heat and serve.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

ps. Curry = one of the more affordable cooking options, best effect for minimum cash. But don't tell your guests that.

Best of all, if you don't think you're going to have enough, just open another can of chickpeas, fava beans, whatever beans you like and use it to bulk out the curry.

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

It'll be a knees up situation - my table doesn't seat 25 ;) I'd love to do soup, but it'd be treacherous to balance.
I like the Indian curry suggestion....I had been considering butter chicken with rice and some veggies...

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

mmmm, butter chicken!!! BEST CURRY EVER! Also makes the biggest mess if you have white carpet (don't ask). I'm on a tight budget so I usually toss in a can of chickpeas to make the butter chicken go further, but chicken is super-expensive here.

Don't forget a protein for your vegan/vegetarians. How about chickpea tikka http://www.pataks.co.uk... It says it's sutiable for vegitarians, but if wanting a vegan friendly version, you would need to do something about the sugar.

So for 25 people balancing plates on their laps (“knees up”):
- It’s easier for your guests if you offer dishes they can eat with just a fork or their fingers (be sure to have lots of paper napkins!), and don’t also require a knife and spoon
- Definitely offer vegetarian options – for such a big group, I’d recommend there should not be just one main dish that is not vegetarian
- “Make your own” is a great idea… warmed tacos, and a bunch of different veg and non-veg fillings (curry mentioned earlier is a great idea for one of them), and a few different side salads. I would avoid lettuce. Go for pasta or roasted vegetables - things easy to spear on a fork and don't splash dressing.
- Dessert: finger things, not cake that needs a new plate and a new fork or spoon
- “Signage” is really helpful – just little folded cards explaining any key ingredients (i.e., does or doesn’t have nuts, or is veg, or is not veg, etc.) I just use heavy white card stock, make folded tents, and try to print neatly. :-)

8278e298 2f80 402a 8d56 b55c3a331a5f  image
Kim

Do you have room to set up a couple of card tables or utility tables? I have done this with large dinners and it works out just fine if they have table cloths on them. If you don't have table cloths, you can usually rent them pretty inexpensively, or look on Pinterest for other ideas, such as using Kraft paper.

With large groups where I'm unsure or eating habits, I like make your owns... Make your own salad, lots of toppings to choose from and lots of dressings. Make flat bread dough. Lots of toppings. They cook in about 10 minutes. Fun interactive dinner.

p.s. For a group that big: it might be helpful to put at least one trash can somewhere near your kitchen, other than the main can in your kitchen, so people can tidy up without a traffic jam in your kitchen. I actually go so far as to dispose of a fake dirty plate in my additional trash can so people can see "yes, this is a garbage can" without having to wander around asking.

Something like a frittata or quiche would be great. Can be eaten with fingers. It's nice to pre-slice so that people don't get tangled up with knives and spatulas.

Did this for my coworkers a few years ago and I set up a salad and soup bar. Prep and bag your veggies (don't buy salad mix), make up some salad dressings, offer nuts, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, marinaded veggies. Keep things fresh, interesting and with a crock pot soup and some crusty bread, everyone can have something they are happy with. Other option is to set out a tapa style repast. Breads, cheeses, olives, roasted peppers, and meats are nice for everyone.

another idea for choice at a buffet - a pancake or waffle bar with toppings including meat, vegetables, nuts, cream, fruit etc. Think crepes, potato pancakes, whole wheat waffle, dollar-size pancakes etc. Another way to allow for allergies, appetites, end of day energy or lack thereof.

On another thread here, someone recently mentioned this contest, "Your Best One Bite Party Snack." You might find some good ideas there too.
https://food52.com/contests...

09e96f32 5fc6 465f ae05 9f156b104560  family feb2012 version 2

lloreen - you have lots of great suggestions! My answer was based on the main course being eaten at tables. We found that choices were the most important factor. With 25 people, count on someone spilling something, plan your menu accordingly, and practice your equanimity.
@sexyLAMBCHOPx - yeah, my answer could be seen that way. My friend and I (both feminists who love to eat) looked at our data (all the leftovers 3 years running) and decided that these women were more health conscious - that is, they ate their main meal at lunch. Also, we asked them and that is what they said. That way, we could get around our own ideas about women's rights to a hearty appetite and make food that would delight and be eaten by the end of the evening.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

You do have a lot of wonderful recommendations! I agree with [email protected] When I entertain for my women friends, we want to eat healthy, have great beverages and be able to move around and talk to one another. We are also uncomfortable if we can't help in the kitchen, set-up, clean-up. We don't one one person stuck in the kitchen doing everything.
Also when it is just us 'girls' together, we want informal not formal.

Will you have servers or is this just you doing it alone? What is the group expecting? What is the purpose of the gathering? The answers to these questions might also illuminate your menu. Let us know how it turns out!