vegan pot roast in dutch oven instead of crock pot?

748d953d 11a3 4188 8919 9613baf9103f  not your mamas

I saw where someone asked a question on here on how to do a pot roast in a dutch oven (the unanimous answer: inside the oven at 350 degrees for 4 to 6 hours) instead of using a crock pot and I am wondering if those instructions would hold for a vegan pot roast that is made from vital wheat gluten, found in Julie Hasson's Vegan Diner cookbook? I'm doing the unthinkable and making it for the first time for out-of-town guests. Please help if you can.

asked by Thistle about 5 years ago

First, I'm not a vegan and never will be, although fadish as it is I'm not a gluten phobe either. Still, I'm having hard time not thinking that any thing made from wheat gluten using a braising method won't turn to porridge over that length of cooking time.

Thistle

Thanks for your thoughts. I know it sounds crazy but I haven't had that experience with her other vital wheat gluten recipes that I've tried where the bouncy (some might say "rubbery") non-softening texture is leveraged to great effect, even over long cooking times. I'm not vegan either (vegetarian~ yes), but find her recipes to be delicious and useful for (religious) fasting.

Thistle

Thank you, this is very helpful. Wish me luck on my glob of gluten!

This might help you for converting slow cooker recipes, even vital wheat gluten for the Dutch oven and vs. versa. It can work. I doubt the above answers have tried converting but I have with success. Let us know!

http://blog.williams-sonoma...

http://blog.williams-sonoma...

Thistle

YES this is exactly what I needed! I will let you know what happens. Thank you!

Please do and if you like the recipe enough, please share on the site. Good luck!

One consideration: the gluten is fully cooked, so 'safe internal temperature' does not apply. I believe your goal is to cook it long enough to infuse the flavors into the bouncy glob (!), and let them marry with other veg(gie) or carb ingredients. From the sound of it, temps that produce a gentle simmer would be best.

Looking back at your question, I realize that you may be making the gluten roast, not buying ready-made seitan. If so, looking at the techniques for making seitan (simmering it in flavored broth -- check macrobiotic sources) would provide a model.