How could a college student start a food truck?

Actually I'm a senior in high school and want to go to college but have a great food truck idea.

asked by Noah Truwit almost 4 years ago

Lisi32

Love this!
Do it and go to college too.

Anna K.

I thought about doing this once and then was derailed by regulations in the town I lived in. Some municipalities are friendlier than others to mobile food establishments. My advice is to do a ton of research on the requirements in your city (or the city you'll be going to college in). Also, I found some useful books. This was a few years ago and there may be newer titles so I won't recommend particular books, but just do a quick search on Amazon. Good luck!

Noah, food trucks are very expensive and definitely not a part time endeavor. I have seen how determined and what a great work ethic you (and your Dad) have. Wasn't it you that made waffle dogs for 400 in two days and threw in a dessert?

I think doing a ton of research will help clear some things up. Having an idea is a small part. If you have food trucks in your town, you could get a part time job on one this summer. Even if you simply volunteer in one to learn the ropes. You could then work in a primo truck while in college with the experience you gained. Lots of things you can do to get closer to your food truck goal while earning your MBA. :)

Get a job in the food industry. Even waiting tables, washing dishes, or line cook. Then after doing that a year or more if you think it's a good idea; go for it.

Unlike 1940's musicals "Hey Let's Put on a Show" and everyone shows up and sings at the end...the cold equations of reality go far beyond a 'great concept'...because someone eventually has to order napkins and put gas in the tank.

Go for it. Get a MBA at College to get the biz skills.

Go to college and get your degree first. Take some business classes like ones for formulating business plans and finance. Business does not have to be your major. Take those lessons and hone your idea into a sound business plan. There have been many great ideas that have failed simply because people have jumped in, not giving much thought to the actual costs in terms of money, time, and effort. And it always cost more than what you budget. Always.

I do not advise doing both (working & college) at the same time, if you can help it. Been there, done that and let me tell you: I paid a high price, physically and emotionally. Go to college, learn and enjoy your time there. It really is the best time of your life (sorry for the cliche, but it's true).

Have you seen the movie Chef? If not, rent it!

Kevin dean

Kevin dean

Kevin dean

Kevin dean