Farm Fresh Hard Bolied Eggs...Can not Peel

Its so hard to peel Hard boiled farm fresh eggs. I usually end up loosing part of the white that will not pull off of the shell. It def does not happen with supermarket eggs. Any ideas? I've tried pricking a small hole begore cooking, ice bath and running under the tap! Thanks!!!!!

bamcnamara
bamcnamara December 1, 2014

oops BOILED! (can't seem to edit question :)

Jacque
Jacque December 5, 2014

Try adding baking soda to the water you boil them in.

Voted the Best Reply!

Susan W December 1, 2014

The only negative to fresh eggs is what you are experiencing. There is no magical cure. I wait 1-2 weeks before I hard boil my eggs from my farmer.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 1, 2014

Depending on what country you are in, store bought eggs can be upto a year old! This makes them super easy to peel, but loses a lot of nutrition and flavour.

You've discovered the one great disadvantage to farm fresh eggs - the boiled egg dilemma. There are literally hundreds of theories on how to overcome this problem, like plunging into ice water after boiling, adding a match to the water, &c. None of them work very well. The best thing I've found is to keep the eggs a week or two at room temp (if they haven't been refrigerated since they fell out of the hen), or a month at fridge temp.

Then again, steaming the eggs seems very popular these days - http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/best-way-cook-hardboiled-eggs-zm0z13djzkon.aspx#axzz3KfsryuYT

An interesting article from mother earth news on storing eggs http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx#axzz3Kfpu3VZk which can give you an idea of how safe it is to keep eggs at room temp (farm eggs that haven't been chemcially cleaned and/or cooled) for long periods of time. It always amazed me in my travels to see other countries not refrigerate their eggs - then when I found out how the eggs here are commercially processed.... great motivation to raising my own hens.

Susan W December 1, 2014

I keep all of my eggs which are from pastured hens in a pretty bowl on my counter. Don't tell the food police.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 1, 2014

Eggs on display, as they should be. Good for you!

nancy essig
nancy essig December 1, 2014

My friend is a chicken lady and has access to amazing eggs. She just cuts the egg in the shell in half and scoops out the egg for her breakfast or egg salad etc. Unless you are using for deviled eggs, this is the way to go

Susan W December 1, 2014

My farmer and his wife do the same thing. I need to try that.

kimhw
kimhw December 2, 2014

My mother in law lives about a mile away and started raising her own chickens a few years back. She drops off a dozen eggs every few days. My husband and I had the same problem for quite some time. Til we started a series of bowls. We date the eggs and hard boil them about 3 weeks later. Also, since the shells are more delicate than store bought, place the eggs in the pot, add cool water and bring to a boil. Less cracking.
The best part, since she raised them she doesn't feel she can eat them, so once or twice a year my freezer gets stocked with great soup and stew birds!!!

paseo
paseo December 3, 2014

I have (very) freshly laid eggs and steam cook them rather than in simmering water, put in ice water when done, crack gently and peel cleanly with no problem. Steaming works perfectly for us.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 3, 2014

How long do you steam them for? Do you use any special steaming set up? You're the first person I've come across that's actually tried and succeeded with the steaming method, so I'm eager to learn more.

paseo
paseo December 3, 2014

I steam them for 12m for hard cooked - actually depends on egg size. I find they come out more tender (to say nothing of the peeling issue). I have done them this way for years since this is such an issue for really fresh eggs. Just put a steaming rack - I use the Oxo b/c I can remove the center post if needed - in a saucepan w/water. Kenji Lopez-Alt has a good description on seriouseats.com - my other go-to web site.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 3, 2014

Thanks, that's awesome info and something I'll definitely be passing on to my egg customers.

mainecook61
mainecook61 December 3, 2014

Pastured eggs stored on the counter are fine---unless they have been washed (even with just water). Washing removes the natural coating on the egg. I raise chickens, and sometimes eggs do come from the nests with some soil, despite my best efforts to provide clean bedding. If I wash these eggs, I refrigerate them and use them up first.

bamcnamara
bamcnamara December 3, 2014

Well the steamed eggs were not only successful but so delicious....the steaming vs the boiling really does a nice GENTLE job...thank you all so much for inputting...IMO there's nothing quite as good as a fresh egg!

Sam1148 December 3, 2014

This involves plastic wrap. But it works great for fresh eggs either hard boiled or poached.

Get Chinese teacup sized cup. And pull out about 2 feet of plastic wrap...push that into the cup, very important, spray it with a bit of oil*.
Break your egg into that and gather up the ends and twist and tie a knot. Then boil that package. A min or so if you're making a poached egg, and 10 mins for hard boiled.
*Oil on the plastic wrap is important. Use a dollar store spray bottle filled with 1/2 oil of your choice and 1/2 water. Shake and spray.

Susan
Susan December 8, 2014

If you're buying 'farm fresh eggs' at a market, the natural protective coating has probably been washed off and replaced with something or noting. Not knowing which, I would suggest you wash the eggs you want to boil, then let them sit out on the counter for a day or two. This speeds the aging process that enables us to peel eggs neatly.

An earlier poster noted that her farm raised eggs had thinner shells than those bought in the grocery. That's unusual. Except in cases where the hens are missing something in their diet, the opposite is far more common: home-raised eggs have the sturdier shells.

Brad Zaller
Brad Zaller December 13, 2014

Easy tip: Dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the water before adding the eggs and bringing to a boil. This softens the shell, making them much easier to peel.

Lanita Pierce-Lovelace

Cook them in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, they peel perfectly!

Smaug June 11, 2018

I can't actually advocate it, but I've seen adds on TV for these little egg-shaped silicone containers; the idea is you break the egg and put it whole in the container, attach the cover and boil as with a whole egg. In the ads, a perfect, peelless hard boiled egg pops right out.