Looking for a cookie icing recipe. Glossy, hard, opaque, white & tasty. NOT royal icing. Help?

00495dbd 9f4e 479a 9f1f 69b9f79769e3  screen shot 2017 04 26 at 3.15.06 pm

Many years ago I had (& have since lost) an icing recipe that I used on gingersnaps. Might have been cooked. It was glossy, hard, crispy, opaque, very white, and tasted good. NOT royal icing. It was very thin (but remained opaque), and not "dusty" tasting, as I find royal icing to be. Something akin to the "Mother's" one pictured. Loved the shininess it had when dry, and the crisp and hard 'snap' texture you got when biting into the icing on cookies. Really kind of a glaze. I'd love any thoughts. Thanks!

asked by Tamara Berg over 1 year ago

A simple confectioner's sugar icing (sugar+enough liquid- water, lime juice, whatever, to make it brushable) brushed on warm cookies will produce something of the sort,but I wouldn't really describe it as hard- maybe if you left it a few weeks.

Bevi

Cooks Illustrated has a fabulous cream cheese and confectioners sugar glaze. https://www.cooksillustrated... You can flavor it with powdered ginger, cinnamon, and other spices to get adventurous.

Wendy

I have the perfect icing recipe and bonus, it is vegan and so simple to make. It is also super adaptable to different applications such as drizzling, painting or piping.
2 cups Confectioner's Sugar (I am Canadian, we call it icing sugar)
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons Almond or Coconut Milk
1Tablespoon Agave Syrup
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla or other flavouring

Just sift the sugar, add the rest and beat a couple of minutes until smooth and glossy.
The magic ingredient is the agave syrup, it gives the frosting a silky, fondant feel, hardens but stays glossy.
Just add a little more almond milk to make it thinner.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

When i make soft glazed gingerbread I use what's called a thread icing. It's just 1 ½ c. sugar and 1 c. water cooked to 225F and then cooled to 180F. Brush that over cooled cookies and it becomes a thin crystalline glaze. Reminds me very much of these cookies.