🔕 🔔

second-rise advice

I'm making cinnamon buns. I want to make the dough at night and cook the rolls off in the morning. The second rise is supposed to be 1-1.5 hours. What would be the best way to handle the second rise?

1) let the dough rise 1-1.5 hours outside the fridge then refrigerate it until morning
2) let the dough do its entire second rise in the fridge
3) something else

Thanks!

asked by vvvanessa almost 3 years ago

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Lots of ways to do it, all are correct so long as they work for you.

My preference: Let the dough do it's entire second rise in the fridge, then take it out of the fridge half to one hour before baking it.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

ps. let us know what you choose and how it turns out.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

What's hard is that I don't know what works for me because I am slightly yeast-phobic (well, cooking-with-yeast-phobic)! I did end up doing the entire second rise in the fridge and tried to let them sit at room temp for a bit before baking them off, but they didn't sit that long. They turned out okay, maybe a little denser than is ideal. I appreciate the input, trampledbygeese!

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I've made sticky buns in advance and let the second rise happen overnight in the fridge; in the morning, I put them in the oven cold then turned it on to preheat.

I love the idea of putting them in the oven while it preheats. Thanks!