second-rise advice

I'm making cinnamon buns. I want to make the dough at night and cook the rolls off in the morning. The second rise is supposed to be 1-1.5 hours. What would be the best way to handle the second rise?

1) let the dough rise 1-1.5 hours outside the fridge then refrigerate it until morning
2) let the dough do its entire second rise in the fridge
3) something else

Thanks!

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 2, 2014

Lots of ways to do it, all are correct so long as they work for you.

My preference: Let the dough do it's entire second rise in the fridge, then take it out of the fridge half to one hour before baking it.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 2, 2014

ps. let us know what you choose and how it turns out.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa December 22, 2014

What's hard is that I don't know what works for me because I am slightly yeast-phobic (well, cooking-with-yeast-phobic)! I did end up doing the entire second rise in the fridge and tried to let them sit at room temp for a bit before baking them off, but they didn't sit that long. They turned out okay, maybe a little denser than is ideal. I appreciate the input, trampledbygeese!

Meaghan F
Meaghan F December 2, 2014

I've made sticky buns in advance and let the second rise happen overnight in the fridge; in the morning, I put them in the oven cold then turned it on to preheat.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa December 22, 2014

I love the idea of putting them in the oven while it preheats. Thanks!