Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I'm planning to make these cinnamon rolls (http://www.bonappetit.com...) for Christmas morning, and I'd love to prep them the night before. Would it be better to make the dough the night before, refrigerate it, and then have them rise in the morning, or should I prep them through the rising stage and then refrigerate them? Or will making them the night before not work at all? Suggestions are welcome!!

asked by brdwilliams almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd fill and shape them, then cover tightly with plastic and refrigerate at that point. They will likely rise at least partially in the fridge. You'll want them to come to room temperature before you bake them even if they are fully risen, so probably 30-45 minutes on the counter. If they need to rise more, you will want to give additional time for that, say another 30-45 minutes.

I love the idea of using the Yukons in a bread recipe, but this recipe looks wacky to me. First, 3 pkg's is a lot of yeast for just 4.5 cups of flour. A pound of potatoes sounds like too much potato. The water sounds off, but is probably okay because of the amount of moist potato. The salt would be too much for regular bread, but there again, the potatoes would probably need it. Lastly, two tbsps of sugar in a sweet roll recipe seems too little, but maybe not, personal preference considered! There are such a mixed bag of reviews on this one, and too many reviews that complained that they had to double the amount of flour. That would concern me. There are a lot of sweet roll recipes that use potato, online. I'd check from reputable sources and compare the ingredient list and maybe adapt this recipe or just use the Yukons in any other.

Soozl, the tablespoon of salt will slow down and therefore neutralize the yeast somewhat. Not sure if they want a salted potato taste or what. It does seem like there is a lot of liquid (butter, eggs, potatoes) relative to the flour. I agree the way to go is to get a more reliable potato dough recipe and use Yukon golds. Frankly, I'm not sure how much you'd taste the different flavor of the Yukons, or get the benefit of their nice texture when mixed into a dough like this, then cooked. I see a recipe like this and immediately think it's a bit gimmiky, especially when it's in a food periodical. It looks like an "ingredient of the moment" effort. No, thanks. ;o)