Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Is it stock worthy

I have a pork picnic shoulder bone that still has a far amount of meet, tendon, and fat on it. What do I do now?
The picnic shoulder was 7-8lbs so the bone is pretty hefty. I cut off all the meat I wanted to eat later but then thought about stock. What do I do with it being a larger bone?

asked by Sarah Barnard about 2 years ago
94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Mmmm.... delicious! It brings back memories of split pea soup my mother made from ham and pork roast bones.

What to do with such a big bone? Short answer, cook it longer.

If you have a pot big enough (or better still a slow cooker), just toss the bone in with some onions, veg, splash of old wine/vinegar, spices, water to cover, and boil the heck out of it. This was my mother's method for making pork stock. For slow cooker bring to a boil on high (maybe 2 hours) then low over night to twentyfour hours. Hob cooking maybe 4 hours. Skim off any froth that comes to the top.

If you have a bone saw, or a hacksaw with a clean (new and sterilized) blade, cut the bone up to 2 or 3 sections or whatever fits in your pot, then make stock as per usual. A bone blade works fine, but personally I like a metal blade for small jobs like this. Though really, with a shoulder blade, you don't need to cut it up unless your pot is too small.

By adding a natural vinegar like apple cider, or some sour wine to the stock pot, it helps extract the nutrition and flavour from the bone and the marrow, especially a big bone like this. I don't know exactly how or why the vinegar helps, but it's a popular trick for people with osteoarthritis to extract more nutrition from the bone.

Feel free to ask if I missed anything. Please let us know how it turns out.

I would freeze it and later use it for some kind of pea or bean soup. Sounds like there's enough meat on that bone for a meal-worthy hearty soup. One of my favorite meals!