pork shoulder rillettes

I have two 2+ lb, bone-in pork picnic roasts. I had wanted to make pork rillettes, but I just noticed that they don't have the nice layer of fat on top. Am I right in thinking these don't have enough fat to make good rillettes? What should I do with them instead? Roast 'em low and slow 'til they fall apart?

Jessica
Jessica April 12, 2017

I believe you can still make rillettes. Once the pork is cooked (with herbs, garlic etc), shred and put into containers, top with melted butter. American test kitchen has a great recipe in thier D.I Y. cookbook that I've made several times.

brbarrett
brbarrett April 12, 2017

Thanks, I'll check it out!

hardlikearmour April 12, 2017

I use country style pork ribs (which are pretty similar to shoulder) and add lard or duck fat to make rillettes. You want about 1 cup fat per lb of meat. Here's the technique I use -- you don't have to smoke the meat -- https://food52.com/recipes...

brbarrett
brbarrett April 12, 2017

huh! I do have plenty of lard. thanks for the tip!

PieceOfLayerCake April 12, 2017

You can also make rillettes out of the fat that renders from the meat and enough of the pork to make a nice consistency and use the rest of the pork for another purpose?