pork shoulder rillettes

I have two 2+ lb, bone-in pork picnic roasts. I had wanted to make pork rillettes, but I just noticed that they don't have the nice layer of fat on top. Am I right in thinking these don't have enough fat to make good rillettes? What should I do with them instead? Roast 'em low and slow 'til they fall apart?

asked by brbarrett over 1 year ago

Jessica

I believe you can still make rillettes. Once the pork is cooked (with herbs, garlic etc), shred and put into containers, top with melted butter. American test kitchen has a great recipe in thier D.I Y. cookbook that I've made several times.

brbarrett

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I use country style pork ribs (which are pretty similar to shoulder) and add lard or duck fat to make rillettes. You want about 1 cup fat per lb of meat. Here's the technique I use -- you don't have to smoke the meat -- https://food52.com/recipes...

brbarrett

huh! I do have plenty of lard. thanks for the tip!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You can also make rillettes out of the fat that renders from the meat and enough of the pork to make a nice consistency and use the rest of the pork for another purpose?