Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Thomas Keller's Butternut Soup with Brown Butter, Sage, and Nutmeg Crème Fraîche

F7db36f4 379f 4aba 9843 67909b20264c  15687126808 84f14ab4d7 b

I have a question about the recipe "Thomas Keller's Butternut Soup with Brown Butter, Sage, and Nutmeg Crème Fraîche" from Genius Recipes. How would one make the best vegetable stock for this soup? I'm putting this on the menu for a special dinner coming up. Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 2 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

AJ - I really like the mushroom stock recipe from Fields of Greens. It's rich and not too sweet, so I think it will work well for a butternut soup. http://www.epicurious.com...

I love sweating onions until sweet, adding the usual carrot and celery AND the guts from any winter squash. It makes a beautiful and tasty golden broth.

Butternut seems to work the best. I made acorn squash dog biscuits this morning and my small acorn squash had mostly seeds and the strings were very pale.

HLA, I like the idea of mushroom stock. Is that recipe available only in the book?

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

This month's Cooks Illustrated has a recipe for vegetable broth that I think would work fine. Do you get the magazine? Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.cooksillustrated...

If you can't open it, message me privately and I'll send it to you.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I am SO glad you asked this question. I made this soup last week, and I kept thinking that a Keller soup recipe really required a more Keller-worthy broth than what I threw together.

The Cook's Illustrated article drbabs mentioned is interesting. It recommends celery root (mild yet complex), leeks (low sugar, neutral), freeze-dried onion (for depth--but how Cooks Illustrated!), tomato paste (savory depth without identifying as a tomato). They suggest no celery (bitter and sour), onions (sulfurous and sweet), tomatoes (mild and watery), sun-dried tomatos (sweet-sour). They also add soy sauce (umami, and it worked better than shiitake mushrooms or kombu). I'm not sure whether to give it a go or not. But I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide.