2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Does larger "grained" white sugar have a higher water content? Our white sugar doesn't seem as sweet as in the US.

Making cream cheese frosting and can't buy confectioner's sugar in Egypt. I processed our white sugar (which has a larger crystal than normal white sugar in the US) in my VitaMix and added a little cornstarch to mimic the powdered sugar in the US. The frosting was horribly runny. Was wondering if a higher water content might be the culprit.

asked by Karen Watkins about 2 years ago

Did you use the same amount by weight or volume? Measured before or after processing? Larger grains don't pack as tightly, so you end up with more air filling up part of your measuring cup. If your ground sugar was still not as fine as commercial powdered sugar, then you ended up using less of it, which could lead to a less sweet taste and runny texture.

Whoops. When I went to double check, it seems that powdered sugar is actually less dense than granulated, which does make sense when I think about it.
Anyone else got any ideas to help Karen?

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.