I am making sour cherry preserves from Epicurious wondering if I can cut back on the sugar

Recipe calls for 5 cups of white sugar to 4 lbs. of sour cherries. Can I cut the sugar back to 4 cups?
4lbs. sour cherries , 5 cups sugar, 1/3 lemon juice, 1-box + 3 T lower-sugar powdered pectin

• Posted by: Nan
  • July 2, 2017

Voted the Best Reply!

BerryBaby July 2, 2017

I would make it as stated. I cut back on sugar one time while making jam and it didn't turn out so great.

PieceOfLayerCake July 2, 2017

Depends....if you're the kind of person who really likes preserves to be thick enough to be "spreadable", you might be disappointed. If you're like me and you don't mind spooning it on and letting it run a bit, give it a try. You're not going to ruin it, you'll just get something a little different. If anything, its a learning process.

I actually prefer when preserves isn't fully set. It seems a little more fruit-like to me and a little less "jello-y". Good luck!

HalfPint July 3, 2017

Yes, you can but...http://foodinjars.com/2015/02/canning-101-can-reduce-sugar/

The shelf life, ability to set up, and yield will be affected.

nancy essig
nancy essig July 5, 2017

If you use Pomona Pectin you can radically reduce the amount of sugar and get a good finished jam. Not so much good for jelly but works great on jams