I am making sour cherry preserves from Epicurious wondering if I can cut back on the sugar

Recipe calls for 5 cups of white sugar to 4 lbs. of sour cherries. Can I cut the sugar back to 4 cups?
4lbs. sour cherries , 5 cups sugar, 1/3 lemon juice, 1-box + 3 T lower-sugar powdered pectin

asked by Nan over 1 year ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Depends....if you're the kind of person who really likes preserves to be thick enough to be "spreadable", you might be disappointed. If you're like me and you don't mind spooning it on and letting it run a bit, give it a try. You're not going to ruin it, you'll just get something a little different. If anything, its a learning process.

I actually prefer when preserves isn't fully set. It seems a little more fruit-like to me and a little less "jello-y". Good luck!

Yes, you can but...http://foodinjars.com/2015/02/canning-101-can-reduce-sugar/

The shelf life, ability to set up, and yield will be affected.

nancy essig

If you use Pomona Pectin you can radically reduce the amount of sugar and get a good finished jam. Not so much good for jelly but works great on jams