How to keep Risotto creamy & not dry for a buffet

I would like to serve Herb Risotto for Xmas buffet but it always seems to get stiff on me and not creamy.

asked by Nan almost 4 years ago

mickle

Or you could do risotto cakes on buffet; however, it will not be that wonderful creamy texture of a fresh made risotto. My favorite risotto is shrimp and peas with a freshly made shrimp stock!

bigpan

Use a steam tray with a lid.

I think it could work. Agree with a steam tray or chafing dish. It would need to be watched over periodically to make sure its not getting to dry. That can be remedied with stirring and a bit of warm stock or water.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I consider risotto my signature dish(es) and wouldn't dream of compromising its magic by not serving it immediately after cooking ("risotto waits for nobody" as i often say). IF i were in a bind and had to figure it out, I agree with keeping it warm, perhaps in a slow cooker on the very lowest setting, but i would be tending to it constantly. Stirring in some liquid every so often. My major concern (among many others) is how to keep it creamy without overcooking it. After a little while its inevitable that it will become mush. Just explaining it here is stressing me out haha.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks