How to keep Risotto creamy & not dry for a buffet

I would like to serve Herb Risotto for Xmas buffet but it always seems to get stiff on me and not creamy.

• Posted by: Nan
  • December 15, 2014

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefJune December 15, 2014

If you're like me, you adore risotto. But I wouldn't ever think of trying to do it for a buffet. It always suffers if it is not served immediately after it's finished. I would instead do a herbed rice pilaf. It doesn't need to stay "creamy" to still be good.

mickle
mickle December 15, 2014

Or you could do risotto cakes on buffet; however, it will not be that wonderful creamy texture of a fresh made risotto. My favorite risotto is shrimp and peas with a freshly made shrimp stock!

bigpan
bigpan December 15, 2014

Use a steam tray with a lid.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 15, 2014

I think it could work. Agree with a steam tray or chafing dish. It would need to be watched over periodically to make sure its not getting to dry. That can be remedied with stirring and a bit of warm stock or water.

PieceOfLayerCake December 15, 2014

I consider risotto my signature dish(es) and wouldn't dream of compromising its magic by not serving it immediately after cooking ("risotto waits for nobody" as i often say). IF i were in a bind and had to figure it out, I agree with keeping it warm, perhaps in a slow cooker on the very lowest setting, but i would be tending to it constantly. Stirring in some liquid every so often. My major concern (among many others) is how to keep it creamy without overcooking it. After a little while its inevitable that it will become mush. Just explaining it here is stressing me out haha.