Slow-roasted duck

Roasting duck for the first time tomorrow night, and have opted for Merrill's recipe after seeing the multiple raves it has received. I read the comments and the questions posted to he recipe itself, but thought I'd solicit any general and/or recipe-specific tips you all might have. A few things I'm pondering: will this splatter in the oven? (I know Martha suggests lining your oven with foil in her duck roasting guide.) Brush with a plum-based glaze before the crisping step or when it comes out to rest? If I throw some aromatics in the cavity, how will this affect the cooking time? Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!!

Nancy December 23, 2014

Meaghan - a few thoughts. Yes you may/will have splatter. So, line the bottom of oven, or cover duck for part of time with foil, and definitely follow Merrill's directions to remove duck at intervals & puncture so fat drains off. Aromatics in the cavity will not fill it, so probably will not affect the cooking time. On the glaze - maybe heat and serve as an optional sauce, so people can choose to have plain &/or fancy duck. And, oh yes, save that duck fat...it is great making french fries and other sides another day.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F December 23, 2014

Thank you! These are all good tips (although I am already a huge fan of duck fat + potatoes - looking forward to Christmas morning home fries!).

maryGpastorek
maryGpastorek December 23, 2014

You can buy a splatter guard like below. You can add aromatics in the cavity and it should not affect the cooking time. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-stainless-steel-mesh-splatter-screen/?pkey=e%7Csplatter%2Bguard%2Bfor%2Boven%7C94%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

Nancy December 23, 2014

lovely to know about these.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F December 25, 2014

Turned out GREAT, thanks for your help! Lined bottom of the oven with foil but splatters/smoke weren't an issue at all. Added ginger and garlic to the cavity and kept the cooking time exactly the same. (Also mixed some five-spice into the salt rub to further the whole Chinese flavor profile.)

Meaghan F
Meaghan F December 25, 2014

Oh, and I opted to serve the plum sauce on the side as suggested.

Nancy December 25, 2014

nice to hear the (good) results. Happy Christmas!