Alternative for cooking duck with plums?

Recipe calls for 4 ducks legs and 16 plums to be slow roasted. I got the duck legs but it's not exactly stone fruit season. Alternatives to plums that will be equally yummy?

asked by ameulensteen over 3 years ago

TobiT

Oranges. Duck a l'orange is classic and yummy

lem monade

I think quince quarters would be nice, with a bit water (or wine, sherry, cider, stock) added along with them, since they won’t really release too much juice. Or how about orange slices (peel on, if you find thin-skinned, organic ones)?

Ali Slagle

Apples are lovely as well!

Figs and oranges together. Sweet and tart.

I was going to suggest quince, as lemon ade has. Also, if you have a well-stocked freezer or grocery store, look there...nowadays all kinds of fruit is frozen in peak condition. E.g. mangos or peaches would be great on duck.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Ducks with dates are delicious!

My mother used to make a delicious duck with grapes. Roasted grapes are lovely and I'd think they'd work well as a plum sub. Just make sure to use seedless.

I made duck alla porchetta for Thanksgiving and thought it turned out very well. The recipe called for duck breast, but you could adapt it for legs. Mark Bittman has a recipe and there are several others on the web. I took ideas from several recipes for my version.

I also think it might be interesting to do duck with pomegranate--you might google that idea and see where it leads.

dorota krysinska

my grandma makes this slow roasted duck with apples which I vaguely remember as very, very delicious.

Prunes would work well. They are dried plums. You could rename them to make it sound more elegant and less Grandpa-ish. :)