Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Trick for Washing Collards, Mustard, Kale. Other sandy greens.

If you have a lot of greens that need washing for New Years. Here's a trick my grandparents used

asked almost 2 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Clean your washing machine with several cups of vinegar on the wash cycle. Add the vinegar to the fabric softener cup too.

This removes any soap scum. If you have a cup of citric acid that's even better to use to clean the machine. Run it again with just water to rinse it well.

Then you can just throw in all the green into the full tub of cold water. (I even add a cup of white vinegar here too to help remove any pests or pesticides)
Give Swirl with your hands. Let it sit a few mins.

Then throw it through the rinse and spin cycle. Yea! it's also a salad spinner.

Wow. What an irresponsible waste of water. If we did that in California we would go to jail. How about conserving a few resources?!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Um, no thanks.

A better trick is to soak them in warm (not hot) water in your salad spinner for a bit, drain, rinse, making sure the dirt, etc., is gone, then soak in cold water to crisp. We did this in the restaurant with produce from local farms and it works really well. I agree that Sam's method is a serious waste of water esp. in the west.

Find a container that is taller than it is wide. That way you wont end up scooping up the sand that falls down. A full Washing machine is quite obsessive. To dry move to your salad spinner or a towel.

Ru oh Sam.

I pull the leaves off of the stems (the stems go into my Mom's compost if I'm in San Diego or to the chickens and hogs that my friend owns if I'm in Oregon) and slice or tear them as needed for whatever I am going to do with them. The leaves go into a big bowl of water. Swish swish and into the salad spinner they go. I've never found a need to use two bowls of water, but the greens I get are pretty clean.

The bowl of sandy water goes out to the tub collected by my apt complex community garden. #conservation

I have sad for people thinking this wasting water. Did you use you washing machine to wash clothes and underwear in your sink with 2 gallons of water? How about your Cloth Diapers.
And X number of quarts of water in the washing machine is the same as X numbers of quarts of water in the sink. But the mechanical spin and rinse and spray save water. With modern Washing Machine...they use less water than a large sink.

And if you're chemically conscious...cleaning out your washing machine with environmentally safe Citric acid and final rinse of White Vinegar removes many soap chemicals....which can cause skin allergies. You should really do that anyway..for cloth washing machines and dishwasher. (dishwashers will built up 'white dust'--running it empty with Citric Acid will remove the soap scum build up...as will white vinegar).

It's another use for an appliance in the house...I find it odd that it's because 'clothes' it's off limits. Why is washing a mess of greens in a washing machine Irresponsible in California as opposed to washing any clothing?

I think it's a great idea, Sam. But I can't do it because I live in a building with a shared laundry room. Although it would be a great idea to run vinegar through all the washers. I'll have to bring that up at Condo Board.