Can collard green stems be used in vegetable stock?

I know that broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, etc will make stocks taste funny - what about collard green stems?

asked by CassieCosmic over 7 years ago

Burnt Offerings

Absolutely. I use all my stems and greens in stocks. Swiss Chard and spinach too.

I tend to avoid leafy greens in stock because they break down so much that they cloud the stock, and the color can be a little frightening.

Burnt Offerings

I don't use the leaves - just the stems of the greens - I should have been more clear in my response.

I cook collards often but I've never used the stems for stock. I guess I thought they would lend the collards' bitterness to the stock. They don't?

innoabrd

I rarely make veg stock, but when I make greens I damn sure love that pot likker! Frankly, I'd guess it's too strong a taste for most stock, but for the right dish...yum!