The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Pressure

I've lived 66 years without a pressure cooker, but recent recipes have piqued my curiosity. Is this a " life- changing" tool, or one more pot in the pantry?

asked by akrainey over 2 years ago
Fb03cb1e e878 41b3 a3ce 4809a51ef4e3  moi

You will LOVE IT. I was always fearful, so I got the Fagor Electric. Food is cooked 70% fast, and SO tender.

fastER! ;)

ktr

I've always wondered how you know how long and at what pressure to cook the food? I'm assuming it works similar to a canning pressure cooker in that you need to hold it at a certain pressure. And what do you do if you think the food should be done so you open the lid and it's not done? Do you bring it back up to pressure or cook it some other way?

Is it a life-changing tool? Probably not--at least not for most people's lives.

But it's a very handy, time-saving piece of gear, particularly if you cook dried beans and pulses, any kind of stock, or meats that require long moist cooking in order to become tender. I probably use mine (an old-school rocker-valve Presto) twice a week on average. There are lots of online resources with recipes and tips.

There was a recent Hotline thread on this subject that you might find useful:

http://food52.com/hotline...