The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

What is a sport pepper exactly?

I would like to pickle my own for Chicago Dogs. The internet is surprisingly vague on what I should actually use, tobacco? Banana? Messed up that I'm from Chicago and don't have a clue but can't get them out east.

asked by csheago over 2 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Sport peppers are unique to Chicago. They are longish, green pickled peppers. My old boss used to bring me a couple of jars when he came out to visit The closest substitute would be jarred Italian peppers. They are essential to the Chicago hot dog, "dragged through the garden". Make sure you have your poppy seed buns.

48361945 4c0d 4900 a4fb fead7055d98f  stringio

Order a jar of the Vienna brand sport peppers on line. Don't forget the bright green relish and the yellow mustard! And as suggested above, the steamed poppyseed bun. The Chicago dog is my all-time favorite when I have a craving.