Can i use granulated sugar or confectioner's sugar instead of castor sugar in coconut bread?

I'm using this recipe for coconut bread: Whisk together 2 eggs, 150ml coconut milk, and 150ml milk. Sift together 2 1/2 cups plain flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup castor sugar, and 1 cup flaked coconut. Add wet to dry and stir in 75 grams melted butter. Bake in a bread loaf pan for 1 hour at 190 C.
It calls for castor sugar, but all I have is granulated sugar and confectioner's sugar. I was thinking about using a half cup of confectioner's sugar and a half cup of granulated sugar, but I'm not sure how that could affect the recipe. Can I use granulated sugar or confectioner's sugar instead of castor sugar, or some combination of the two?

Carrie Myrick
Carrie Myrick January 25, 2015

You can make your own castor sugar by grinding regular granulated sugar to a finer grind. I use a food processor but a spice or coffee grinder works too!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick January 25, 2015

I would just use granulated sugar.

Alison
Alison February 4, 2015

Confectioner's sugar has cornstarch in it. I wouldn't use as a substitute for castor sugar.