Snow day! What are you cooking???

The northeast is expect a big storm, incase you didn't hear!!! I typically use these days to cook things that have lots of steps. But my freezer is full of my go to foods already. Looking to hear your favorite snow day cooking projects to get me inspired.

asked by kimhw over 3 years ago

nashama

I have a bag of bacon ends (newly acquired from a freezer sale at a local butcher) headed for split pea soup tomorrow. You?

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I am going to be making a chili, along the lines of Rick Bayless's Frontera's Award Winning Chili (http://www.rickbayless...). But I think I will experiment with the recipe a little and add a twist or two. I will bake a bread, and if it still snows on Wednesday, maybe I will have time to take a stab at baked semolina gnocchi. Yay to the snowstorm!

kimhw

Both very yummy. But I'm looking for those 30 step recipes that are constantly hands-on, therefore we just don't make them recipes. Cassoulet, short rib ravioli.....

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

In that case, this was my weekend project over the holidays http://www.threelittlehalves...

If you have ingredients, space and (for canning) equipment, make pickles and preserves. If you have access to shopping, try cabbage (for kimchi) and oranges (for marmalade).

Jenny Maria

In Denmark we selvom have snowstorms but I would go for something from momofuku milkbar cookbook

caninechef

Not what you asked, but the smell of bread baking always reminds me of being snowed in. The only time my mother ever made bread was during major storms.

Meaghan F

Potstickers! Using up all the random small portions of meat in my freezer. Also chocolate chip cookies, because you don't need a reason for chocolate chip cookies.

Panfusine

Potatoes potatoes potatoes! and plenty of masala chai!

If I can tear myself away from this website, I'll put up a jar of Moroccan cured lemons... :)

Isabella A

Kouign Amann! Or something else crazy and laminated; possibly the nutella morning buns from Lady and Pups.

ChezHenry

Beef shortribs, braised. Jam tarts. Oatmeal for bfast.

Healthline

Nothing warms you up like a slow cooked pot roast! The potatoes and parsnips in this recipe are a great touch: http://www.healthline.com...

EmFraiche

I must admit that, as a west-coaster, I've got a little bit of snow-envy right now. I'm day dreaming of spiced snack cake with coffee and braised meat with polenta.

kimhw

Thanks everyone. Braised short ribs and coq au bin, beef stew and chicken vegetable soup, meatballs and sauce are my typical staples. A snow day wouldn't be complete without a few different breads. The smell is intoxicating. I'm going with a few simple variations on poor mad/rich mans Christmas, bread and stocking the freezer with caramelized onions ( the best started for so many dishes). Plus homemade kahlua and starting lemoncello.
I LOVE snow days.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Wow, I so wish to be you at this moment! I cannot wait to wake up tomorrow to the quiet city -- it is one of a kind feeling when everything stops and you actually hear the silence in New York.

Michele

My usual was always beef stroganoff or stew - something warm and comforting. This year unlike other years we are going with homemade macaroni and cheese, prosecco and blueberry cheese blintzes. Don't ask, but is will hit the spot after hours of snow blowing.

keg72

Chicken pot pie, French onion soup, lemon squares, oatmeal cookies and deep dish pizza are on the menu/agenda today/tomorrow. Cozy, comforting food....

Bevi

Meyer Lemon marmalade, Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup, Chicken Piccata.

madcow19

Quinoa tabbouleh (again) and chicken chili.

A quick soup from leftover roast chicken, canned chickpeas, chicken stock and odds and ends from the vegetable drawer...