How to tell if cider is expired?

I'm about to make hard cider, and the date on my apple cider says it expired a week ago. It looks fine and I haven't even opened it yet, should I be fine to use it?

asked by Jesse Gallant almost 4 years ago

Is it unpasteurized? It will say somewhere on the bottle. If it wasn't refrigerated, then it's pasteurized. Unpasteurized does go bad fairly quickly. It's literally juice pressed from apples. Does it say "best by (insert date)" or "expires.."?

I would take a sip to determine if its OK.

petitbleu

Yes, take a sip. If anything, it may have started fermenting already, which often happens with unpasteurized cider. If that's the case, then your hard cider is already well on its way!

jamcook

If it starts to get fizzy, if the container bulges, if it smells peculiar, and tastes funny...That's not so good.