Can I use an expired box of corn starch which has never been opened? Exp. Date 6/24/12

asked by KitchenKim over 5 years ago

Of course you can use it. Corn starch doesn't spoil. Unless you have weevils running around in the box it's fine. Think of those "use by" dates as guidelines rather than cold, hard facts.

The only concern I see is if the box had gotten wet, even damp. If there is any sign or smell of mold, don't use it. Otherwise, this is a pretty pure starch, so there are no oils to go rancid, no leaveners to lose potency... Makes you wonder why it's dated at all!

KitchenKim

Susan g, thanks for responding. The cornstarch came in a plastic container and has never seen the light of day before:). It was sitting in the back of my dark pantry. I will go ahead and crack it open!!

KitchenKim

Pierino, no weevils...thank goodness, no weevils!!!