🔕 🔔

Other than a sandwich, what else can I make with a big jar of Muffuletta spread- you know, the olives and cauliflower and peppers marinated?

Bought a big jar from that famous Muffuletta sandwich place in New Orleans, but I don't know if I can eat it fast enough only using it for sandwiches.

asked by colleenhere almost 3 years ago

Stir some into marinara sauce, add to scrambled eggs or frittata, mix with cream cheese to make a dip, use as a condiment for baked chicken, use as a dressing for a bean salad - lots of options.

63bc6697 71ff 4b50 b0f0 293d5f82f487  fb avatar

thanks for helping bust down my mental block! was having trouble thinking outside the box on this one, but these are all tasty sounding ideas I can certainly use.

9222c532 27a1 4ba1 88e4 001b7bd829f8  image

How about added to simple roasted vegetables? Or to rice or couscous or mashed potatoes? You might need to chop it up a bit or to pulse it in the food processor a few times.

Might be good to top grilled or baked seafood with it?

This is more like a sandwich, but a friend of mine once served crostini with a smear of chevre then topped with an olive spread (tapenade, I think). It was delicious because the chevre cut the saltiness of the olives. This should work with the muffaletta spread.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Use it on a burger, or to top baked potatoes!

Your mix sounds like an Italian pickle called giardinara....so ideas include mixing it with more veg you'd find on an Italian table, like roasted red pepper, zucchini, tomato, olives, artichokes. Serve as an antipasto or as a side dish. Mix in some tuna, anchovy, hard-cooked egg, boiled potato for a salada Nicoise. Put on a platter of delI meats (another antipasto). garnish a bean salad or spread (like hummus).

yes! thank you! i knew there was a name for it. thanks for the ideas!

Mash an avocado on good break, add Muffuletta!

48361945 4c0d 4900 a4fb fead7055d98f  stringio

I have also used it on a crostini with smear of goat cheese-olive salad-slice of prosciutto; I have added it to both potato salad and egg salad as flavor enhancers; I have spread it with the muffuletta meats and cheeses on a whole ciabatta bread and then cut in small squares to make mini appetizers; and finally add it to a mixture of cream cheese and Parmesan and make savory palmier

I'd be tempted to add to a savory bread pudding.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

If you like that and olives. You might want to buy some now. There's an olive shortage that's driving up prices.
I've actually found good quality olive oil and muffuletta mix at "Big lots".