Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

making liqueurs

How much simple syrup should I add to alcohol that has already been steeped with the respective fruit flavor? I have 8 oz (1 cup) of some starfruit infused vodka (steeped for 3 weeks) and want to find out the perfect balance for making starfruit liqueur.

asked by Panfusine almost 2 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

It can vary. When I started making liqueurs, I used a ratio of 1:1:1 for 180-proof steeped alcohol : water : sugar syrup. My sugar syrup was 8:1 sugar in water by volume (1 cup sugar to 1/8 cup water to make 1 cup sugar syrup). I'd also add a little glycerine as a
smoother.

Nowadays, I find those ratios too sweet, but there are plenty of liqueurs on the market that are just as sweet as those are. If you want to try those ratios, and assuming your vodka was only about half as strong as my grain alcohol, I say you try a half a cup of simple syrup and taste it. One caveat--it will probably taste raw. I generally let my liqueurs mellow for at least a month, then taste them and maybe let them go longer.

Agree with greenstuff about both sweetness and rawness. Since you're looking , presumably, for the perfect-for-you ratio, maybe consider your 8 oz a test batch, split into 2 to 5 small samples and add variousvamounts of sugar syrup. Taste in a few months, then use the ratio you like best for future larger batches.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Splendid, this is valuable advice. I went ahead and added the simple syrup (which had thickened to a molasses consistency because I cooled it down in an ice bath) ounce by ounce and sampling as I went along. 2 oz to 8 oz of steeped vodka.
Should I let it mellow in the refrigerator or can I leave it out on the kitchen counter?
What do I do with the boozy slices of starfruit? they're all preserved and crisp..& quite delicious!

Recipes I use usually specify room temp aging. The alcohol should prevent any nasty results. As for your boozy starfruit, in fruit salad, on pancakes, on ice cream.

Ditto. I let my liqueurs mellow at room temperature. Or in the cellar when I was making a lot of them and had a cellar.