Is there a big difference in the texture of a microwaved sweet potato and a oven baked sweet potato?

Abra Bennett

The rap against microwaving any sort of potato is that the micro explodes the starch molecules, changing the texture. A sweet potato baked in the oven will become caramelized and delectable, whereas the microwave cannot caramelize. I'd go with the oven if at all possible.

Nora

I agree. An oven-baked sweet potato is so good, I've never even tried to zap one.

Eliana60

I will speak on behalf of the zapped sweet potato. Mushy, but I like it. The difference to me is really the texture of the potato skin. Nothing beats the crispy skin of a baked potato. The skin of a zapped potato is garbage. But the flesh is fine either way.

PattiinMS

If I am rushed, i do both. Zap it for a few minutes to get it started and then bake it to finish it off. Tastes great and better than if you just zap it.

sheredel

I always opt for oven baked, skin never right somehow unless in that hot oven for a length of time. whether wonderful idaho, or sweet potato take the time for the oven oven. and I prefer the white fleshed sweet potato to the orange.