I'm going to Austin in May! Any food recommendations for a pescetarian?

We also love vegan food.

Rachel Christensen is the Director of Audience Development for Food52.

asked almost 4 years ago

When will you be here? There are a bunch of us Food 52'ers here in Austin, and Abbie (aargersi) coordinates our getting together for lunch around once a month. Maybe you can join us? (Restaurant recs to follow--I've only lived here about a year, so not an expert on restaurants. I did have a great veg meal at Parkside last night however--good but pricey.)

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

OH that would be lovely! I think May 15-19.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Years and years ago I visited Austin, and I still remember the seitan BBQ sandwich I had at Jo's on South Congress, as well as their kolaches. Also, if you happen to be there on the first Thursday of the month (as I was) the whole South Congress area turns in to a big outdoor block party of music and food, really fun.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

Sadly, I won't be there until the middle of the month -- but I love seitan! Will definitely check out Jo's. Thank you!

Dona

Torchy's Tacos for fish / shrimp tacos. They're the best!

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

Thank you!

YAY we will for SURE get a lunch together while you are here - message me! Meanwhile:

Mother's Café - the oldest of the old, hippiest of the hippie veggie restaurants (incidentally, Nannydeb and I met waiting tables there in the 80's!)

Perla / Clark - same owners - great upscale fish / oyster houses

Eddie V's - though purchased by the Red Lobster company (BOO) you can still enjoy gulf oysters here for a good price, and they have seafood dinners as well.

Quality Seafood - a New Orleans style oyster bar / fish house / fish shop. Crawdads too!

Mr. Natural - more hippie veggie food - great empanadas!

Bouldin Creek Café - yum - lots of vegetarian options

Really MOST places in Austin have a few vegetarian choices and seafood. You won't have time to eat it all! Also worth exploring are food truck options, we have loads. Oh - you HAVE to go to Mighty Cone and get a shrimp / avocado combo. Check out the Picnic Food Truck Park on Barton Springs.

I will keep thinking.

nannydeb

In addition, Counter Culture on East Caesar Chavez is vegan and nicely funky.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

Amazing!!