What is your favorite mayonnaise brand?

Whole Foods used to carry Delouis Fils French Mayonnaise and I loved it. It tasted like a home made one. It is not available any more. I am still looking for a replacement...

Susan W February 10, 2015

I've been making my own for so long that I am WAY out of touch about purchased mayo. Do you not want to make your own?

QueenSashy February 10, 2015

When I am planning ahead, yes. But I like to keep a jar in the fridge when I need just a spoon or two, or for when I come home from work late and there is no time to cook. And this ones was so much like home made... Maybe Whole Foods is listening and they will get it back on the shelf.

Susan W February 11, 2015

I brag about making my own, but I just made Peruvian chicken with green sauce and I bought a small jar if Best Foids. I'm oddly proud of that.

Grace
Grace February 10, 2015

Just Mayo!

Nicole Otis
Nicole Otis February 11, 2015

My egg-allergic husband thanks Hampton Creek for this amazing product.

PG Bakery
PG Bakery February 12, 2015

Great product and a rather new introduction to the mayo section (2011). HC received considerable support and funding in late 2014 during their lawsuit with Unilever the maker of Hellman's Mayo. The lawsuit was dropped, and came with a suggestion from
Unilever, that HC revise how they label their "Mayo" since it contains no eggs. It's been a great spread to use so far. Quite interesting to see the backing they received and in such little time. Looks like everyone loves their "Mayo".

Voted the Best Reply!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich February 11, 2015

Hellmann's is the best purchased mayo in my opinion.

Sam1148 February 12, 2015

Hellmann's/Best. Used to be the tops. Although they won't admit it with 'lawyer type talk' they've changed their formula/or production methods/or sources.
People have complained the change..and I've noticed it. They list "lemon" but lemon concentrate is 'lemon'--oh we didn't change it's labeled 'lemon'. Whatever they did it's not the same.

Dukes is my go to mayo now.

Here's a interesting read about Hellmans and the 'change'.

http://www.slate.com/articles...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks February 11, 2015

Hellman's, also like kraft's, can't remember the name.... ?miracle whip? Sweet and vinegary, fromy childhood.

Donna
Donna February 11, 2015

I like Duke's if I'm not using homemade. It's not sweet like most commercial mayo.

Michelle Digilio O'Connell

Hellman's is the best

sdebrango February 11, 2015

I like Hellmans, always have but I heard that there is a brand called "Duke" that is excellent. I don't think it is carried in NYC or at least that I have seen. Maybe it's available online because I think it's a Southern brand.

sdebrango February 11, 2015
http://www.dukesmayo.com
sdebrango February 11, 2015

Available in NY, Brooklyns own Empire Mayonnaise. I know some specialty stores sell it. It is homemade but by Empire and has none of the preservatives and other added stuff. That said I still use Hellman's when I don't make my own.

keg72
keg72 February 11, 2015

I'm a Hellmann's user myself, but something to try is the Japanese Kewpie mayo. Some people swear by it. Here's an article from a Serious Eats about it: http://www.seriouseats....

Coco espresso
Coco espresso February 11, 2015

It's adorable, but has msg in the ingredient list.

Sam1148 February 12, 2015

Kewpie is great on french fries. It's mostly egg yolk mayo. Yes it has MSG...but MSG isn't a big scary thing most people think it is. It's a natural product like salt. If you like a seaweed salad or Parmesan cheese you like MSG.

ChefJune February 11, 2015

I usually make my own, but I keep a jar of La Costena mayo in the fridge. there are no preservatives, It's made with lime juice. I think you'd be most likely to find it in stores that cater to the Hispanic market. Imho it's a lot better than Hellman's. Read Hellman's ingredient list. It's changed, and not for the better.

AntoniaJames February 12, 2015

Wow, great tip, ChefJune. I'll need to run down that La Costena. Thank you. ;o)

ktr
ktr February 11, 2015

If you are worried about homemade mayo going bad before you can use it, try making cultured mayo - it will keep in the fridge for much longer than regular homemade mayo.

Pegeen February 11, 2015

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, that Kraft won in this taste test. Not that I've ever tasted it. It's just that In my family it's got to be Hellman's or home-made. http://www.seriouseats...

caninechef
caninechef February 11, 2015

I had to laugh reading the article at the link above. A concern for my sister before her marriage, his family used Miracle Whip!

Kelly
Kelly February 11, 2015

Empire Mayonnaise - no contest! It's a similar french style, white truffle is my fav but they do a classic with a nice lemon kick to it as well.

TobiT
TobiT February 11, 2015

I think this is one of those things that is entirely dependent on the brand you grew up with. (I put ketchup, hot dogs and pickles in this category too.) We always had Hellman's in the house, and I just can't stand others like miracle whip or cain's. But I have friends who are the reverse.
And it influences preferences for homemade mayo too. Miracle whip as a kid? Prefer to add a pinch of sugar to homemade mayo, etc.

Nancy February 12, 2015

Or make at home in small amount, like Michael ruhlman recipe using only half cup oil.

Susan W February 12, 2015

What a great idea. The recipe I use makes about 1.5 cups and I find myself forcing ways to use it. I'm going to Google his recipe.

Lisa
Lisa February 12, 2015

Just have to say that hellmans is called best foods on the west coast.

Patti in Mississippi
Patti in Mississippi February 12, 2015

I am a Hellman's user but I live in Mississippi and they swear by Blue Plate Mayo.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry February 13, 2015

Hellmans and Kewpie.

Annie stader
Annie stader February 14, 2015

I really like Trader Joe' mayo. I have been using it since it first appeared on their shelves back when The Trader was our neighborhood store in the 70s. However nothing beats homemade!