British Single Cream

What is the American equivalent for British single cream if light cream is not available? I'm looking at Mary Berry's recipe for custard to pour over a crumble. I found one suggestion of adding 9 tablespoons heavy cream to 1 cup of skim milk. Another thought is to use half & half. Suggestions?

• Posted by: akrainey
  • February 11, 2015

HalfPint February 11, 2015

British single cream is ~18% fat. Half & Half runs from ~10-18%. Light whipping cream is ~18-30%. Personally, I would use light whipping cream.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 11, 2015

If you cant find light cream half and half would be my choice.

boulangere February 11, 2015

Single cream is known here as table cream. It used to be commonly available, but not so in recent years. Half and half is about 12% fat, or 30% less than your single cream. However, if you use a ratio of 80% half and half to 20% heavy (or whipping) cream, you'll vector in on the desired 18% fat single cream.

Maedl February 12, 2015

Yes, I would do this, too. I think you would be successful just using half and half, but the added richness of the whole cream will be lush.