What is a good vegan substitute for heavy cream

I am making cream of mushroom soup and calls for 1 cup of heavy cream and .5 cup of half and half, would coconut milk be a good alternative, or coconut cream, or something totally different? Thanks in Advance!

• Posted by: tb447
  • March 12, 2015

Esvee
Esvee March 12, 2015

Coconut milk might have too much coconut flavor for a mushroom soup, but that is usually what I use as a substitute for heavy cream.
A combination of vegan sour cream and non-dairy milk mixed together until it's the right consistency could work and would taste delicious. If you want something less processed, then silken tofu thinned out with non-dairy milk might work too.

jilhil
jilhil March 12, 2015

Coconut milk will give a creaminess but I always taste it in the flavor profile of the soup. You could use cashew cream, which adds richness and has a more neutral flavor.

You can make the cashew cream by blending 2 parts water to one part cashews. If you don't have a Vitamix or other high speed blender you can get a creamier result by soaking the cashews for an hour or two before blending.

Nancy March 12, 2015

The nuttiness of the cashew will also work well with the umami quality of the mushrooms.

tb447
tb447 March 12, 2015

Thank you both! Will let you know how it turns out :)

PazzoNico
PazzoNico March 12, 2015

Or "creaminess" by way of a potato (yukon or something similar preferably) or some cooked rice (if pureeing).

Zoe Borenstein
Zoe Borenstein March 12, 2015

If coconut milk has too much coconut flavor, you could try using some cashews, macadamias, or walnuts that have been soaked in water for a few hours (overnight is best). Either puree with water to make a cream-like liquid, or add directly to the soup if pureeing the finished product. They will add a wonderful richness and creaminess to your soup!

Chris Hagan
Chris Hagan March 12, 2015

Don't know if I'm too late with this, but Sarah Copeland's vegetarian cookbook "Feast" features a mushroom soup recipe that calls for almond milk instead of cream. Might want to give that a shot.

Chris Hagan
Chris Hagan March 12, 2015

Here's a link to an adapted version, as I don't have the actual book in front of me:

https://craftycooknook.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/cloudy-with-a-chance-of-godzilla-creamy-mushroom-almond-milk-soup/

tb447
tb447 March 12, 2015

Thank you so much for all your guidance, really appreciate it!