baked lasagna in a glass covered dish was left out overnight, will it still be ok to eat

the house is kept at 64 degrees

asked by Tina over 3 years ago

ktr
ktr

Food safety experts will probably tell you it's not safe, but I know I've done this on several occasions without any problems. In fact I was just talking to someone the other day about how a lot of elderly people we know leave food out over night before putting it in the fridge and have never had any problems with it. Of course, if you or anyone in your household have any immune deficiencies though, I'd err on the side of caution and toss it.

ChezHenry

Actually, a lot of old people got sick in the past, they called it a bug, or a "24 hour" stomache virus, or the runs, or etc., etc. Some got much worse. We now understand these things much better, and have scientific proof of the rampant bacteria growth in these conditions.

The "danger zone" is 40 to 140 degrees, so I'd throw out the lasagna. Since we don't "see" bacteria it's easy to pretend it's not there. Re-heating something doesn't kill bacteria, unless you're boiling it. Buying more lasagna ingredients is a lot cheaper than a lost day or two of work from food poisoning. Here are some guidelines from the USDA for consumers:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov...

Correction about reheating from the document mentioned above: "Foods should be reheated thoroughly to an internal temperature of 165 °F or until hot and steaming. In the microwave oven, cover food and rotate so it heats evenly."

I think the issue with that is for most dishes, reheating to 165 F would dry it out so much, you wouldn't want to eat it again.

If it was my food, I'd say yes.

Why?

because I'm hungry and my kitchen is always cold.

GJS
GJS

Be safe. Throw it out. It's only lasagna.

I agree.

ChezHenry

Of course you should discard it, without question. The pasta, meat, milk based béchamel, cheese. Can you imagine a more fertile ground for bacteria growth? Pegeen is correct.

Food safety MVP sounds good. It begs the question - maybe there should be a general disclaimer about replies as well. Besides food safety, many questions here concern health/other dietary issues - e.g., allergies, medical food restrictions, or my pet peeve, the incorrect assertion that ALL alcohol 'cooks off'. A disclaimer may not be very valuable in a legal sense, but it might help reinforce that most here aren't experts in those areas, they just play one on the internet. (Not referring to this thread. But it happens.)

I always go by the old adage, "when in doubt, throw it out." The very fact you have asked this question means you doubt whether it's still good. I'd toss it. Sorriest.