Weird peanut butter combinations?

What are the most unexpected foods that taste good with peanut butter? I'm not talking about bacon (we know that one), but what about cheddar cheese, fried eggs, anchovies? Share your ideas, please :)

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

caninechef

My mother, who I can not remember ever eating peanut buttter any other way, liked PB, cucumber and mayo sandwiches.

ktr
ktr

Cheddar and cojack cheese go well with peanut butter.
I used to eat carrots with peanut butter all the time when I was in college.
Marshmallows dipped in peanut butter.
I've been thinking for a while about thinning out some peanut butter and pouring it over popcorn.
Not very unusual but spread with cream cheese on a graham cracker.
On saltines and then dipped in tomato soup.
Can you tell that I love peanut butter!

Pickles - sour home-fermented ones, cut into 1/2 dices to top unsalted crunchy peanut butter smeared on saltines.
Probably doesn't qualify as "wierd," but peanut butter with lime juice, fish sauce, a tiny splash of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar mixed in makes a quick, tasty dip for crusty dry-roasted bite-sized chunks of tofu. ;o)

Windischgirl

My grandmother made " hot sauce ", a cooked salsa-like condiment of onions, tomatoes, red sweet peppers, and hot peppers. We'd use it instead of ketchup with hamburgers and sausages, and as the sauce on pizza. But her favorite was PB-and-hot sauce sandwiches. Seriously!

Make a spice mix of Cumin, Ground coriander, Turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and a bay leaf, salt and white pepper.

Chop up a couple of onions, about 2 table spoons of ginger, and 2 cloves of garlic, and a couple of green chili pepper.
In a pressure cooker cook the vegetables a bit...then add the spices to bloom them. Add about 3 lbs of chicken thighs or other parts bone in and skin on.
Add a large can of whole tomatoes drained.
Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter mixed with a bit of stock.
add about 3 cups of chicken stock
add 2 cans of chick peas.
1 lemon cut in half and juiced.

Pressure cook for 35 mins..adjust seasoning. (I add a few tablespoons of tahini) add a bag of fresh spinach and wilt that down. Serve with basmati rice and cilantro and lime wedges on the side.

/option...use 1 can of full fat coconut milk for part of the broth which should cover the chicken.

kimhw

My dad always made use peanut butter sandwiches to dip in tomato soup. The soft white bread, the rich mushy pb and the creamy acidic soup. Yum!

Tom Potter

I love this also, but it has to be made correctly. Plain white bread (not toast, or wheat (Etc...) bread), peanut butter sandwich, with nothing else on it (no butter, honey, jelly, bananas). Cut into 4 or 5 long pieces, depepnding on the size of the bread.

FOr the soup, for me at least, it's got to be Campbell's tomato soup. One can of it made with only HALF a can (NOT a whole can) of MILK (not water).

After heating the soup, dunk the strip tips into it and eat before it gets soggy, then dip again.

It may sound gross, but trust me, it is soooooooo good! The flavors go together so well!

Scott

My go-to as a child was a PB sandwich with my Chef Boyardee ravioli.

Kat Altomonte

My dad started making us peanut butter and kimchi sandwiches at one point in high school. Spectacular!!!

LE BEC FIN

I don't know what prompted me to ever try this recipe, but some 45 years ago I started making the Nut Seed Tacos from Recipes for a Small Planet. The corn taco filling includes:Tomato paste, peanut butter, sunflower,pumpkin and sesame seeds, cumin, cayenne,onion, and is topped with sharp cheddar and lettuce..... Fantastic, meant to be. I would NEVER have figured to try peanut butter and tomato paste, but there is a famous African peanut stew that also has tomato paste in it, and Mexican cuisine (which I'm guessing this recipe derives from) also uses these ingredients together.

Don't know if this counts as weird, but yes unexpected. peanut buttern hummus, where the PB subs, presumably, for the tahiNa paste. Surprisingly good. From nigella Lawson 2010 book, Kitchen

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

A friend in college had a bucket of peanut butter in her room. She upturned the lid, put a glob of peanut butter on it, added a spoon of honey, mixed and ate. Voila, lunch!

MTMitchell

I have a friend who swears by the following to cure a hangover and whatever else ails you: a sausage, fried egg, and cheese sandwich (preferably on an English muffin) smeared with copious amounts of peanut butter. Preferably chunky. I haven't tried it (either not hungover enough or too hungover) but she eats this sandwich many a Sunday, not just the hazy ones.

Lisa

My mom made me peanut butter, mayonnaise and pickle sandwiches on wonder bread. :)

My dad used to get up in the middle of the night and eat thick slices of onions with peanut butter. I am quite sure my stepmom appreciated his breath when he came back to bed. But I can see how that would work - maybe caramelized onions? Hmmm ....

Scott

I sense a recipe is forthcoming... :o)

Panfusine

Peanut butter with Cilantro mint chutney and boiled sliced potatoes in a sandwich, I use Peanut butter in an Indian breakfast tapioca dish with lentils (sabudana). It works even with subbing the tapioca with Fregola! (http://www.panfusine.com...)
Use it in making a tamarind relish that is used to make tamarind rice.. The can go on & on..

Panfusine...the cilantro mint chutney sounds both novel & instinctively right. I''ve had pb with fruit chutneys, but not with herb ones.

C Sangueza

i used to use a recipe from a gardening magazine that involved stir-frying shredded cabbage and sliced onions until they were limp. You would then stir in a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and hot pepper flakes to taste. The heat would make the pb soften into a sauce and it is delicious.

Shelly Vegas

OMG that sounds delicious!

Samantha Bakall

Peanut butter and chicken nuggets. Not sure how my mom and I arrived at that combo when I was a kid, but it's still a fond flavor memory for me.

Hillary

A plain omelette with peanut butter in the middle is amazingly delicious!

That reminds me - when they were little, I occasionally made my kids jelly omelets. (Grape jelly turns the eggs green - hard to top that.) Sometimes we'd put PB in too - they liked it when it got all melty with they jelly.

Oops. I mean 'the jelly'...though 'they jelly' has certain folksy ring to it....

JulieS

Fresh sourdough bread, toasted then smeared with peanut butter and drizzled with Sriracha sauce, lime juice, cilantro and course salt.

I asked my husband who is a peanut butter anything addict and he mentioned that a co-worker brings in peanut butter and cheese sandwiches which I didn't think sounded good. Perhaps an extension of the peanut butter cheese cracker snacks?

ktr
ktr

I love peanut butter and either cheddar, Colby or co-jack (Colby and Monterey jack cheese mix)!

This not truly weird, but peanut butter + almonds go marvelously well together. One of these days I'll post a unique cookie I developed to showcase this perfect union. ;o)

Panfusine

Sounds AWEsome!

healthierkitchen

I think this one is truly weird - when he was little my brother ate pb smeared on a hot dog in lieu of mustard.

HK, that sounds delicious. I'm not kidding. ;o)

healthierkitchen

This one is truly weird - when he as little my younger brother ate pb smeared on a hotdog in lieu of mustard.

JulieJulie

Throughout elementary school, I was the kid with the peanut butter and lettuce sandwich wrapped in foil. Crunchy peanut butter, crunchy lettuce, no soggy bread, no overly sticky palate. It's a texture revelation. (Works best with less bitter lettuce.)

Scott

A reply that should be mentioned with the release of "The Wrinkle in Time" movie- I learned about PB and lettuce from the novel.

carlito

I make peanut butter and butter or coconut oil sandwiches (on lightly toasted sandwich bread). Also PB and mayo sandwiches. Mmm...saturated fat..

This also is not weird, per se, but bears mentioning nonetheless: peanut butter with maple syrup swirled through it and crunch salt sprinkled on top (outstanding on toasted artisanal bread). Another even more decadent application: I had some leftover butterscotch caramel sauce during the holidays, which I put to good use drizzled over crunchy peanut butter on toasted Country Bread from Chad Robertson's magnum opus, "Tartine Bread." Best breakfast, ever. ;o)

Windischgirl

I've had PB swirled into oatmeal for breakfast, to up the protein. With a bit of honey or preserves for sweetness it's pretty tasty.

Allyn

My roommate and I used to eat sandwiches with white bread, crunchy peanut butter, and dill sandwich slicer pickles. It started out as a joke, but we both wound up loving them.

Jussy

I was just out of ideas for breakfast and I start eat waffles with peanut butter. I bought an awesome Waffle Maker (from this fantastic website http://homegadgetsdaily... I highly recommend you guys) It's delicious !

Afsana Liza

Fiance loves chunky peanut butter & liverwurst sandwiches. Interesting for sure!

petitbleu

Peanut butter and fizzy water taste amazing together. I don't know what it is, and I know fizzy water isn't a food, but the combination is just awesome!

Panfusine

I love the the way the water appears like its trying to dislodge the PB stuck in the mouth!

henandchicks

peanut butter, swiss and wickles (spicy pickles) on triscuits , with a side of chicken soup. Perfect lunch.

scotrotsios

My mother always made banana sandwiches with peanut butter and mayo. Sounds nasty (my kids won't touch it), but it is REALLY delicious.

Aliwaks

Vlasic dill pickles, cheddar cheese & peanut butter on a plain bagel... its all about texture, the cheese has to be cut thick enough to be "squeaky" & the pickles really crunchy but a bit mild, and the bagel soft but not toasted because then it melts the peanut butter (also good on a Ritz Cracker instead of a bagel)

Morgan

I discovered today that peanut butter is a good salad dressing.

Annie stader

This is from Ruth Reichl: peanut bitter on toast with mayo and pimento stuffed green olives. It has a kind of peanut butter and bacon taste. Peanut butter and bacon was on every diner and luncheonette menu when I was growing up.( 50s early 60s)

Shelly Vegas

I love to place 2 small sccops of Peanut Butter in my fruit Yogurt, especially in the Strawberry one and also in my hot black coffee, as it melts the PB a bit and its just such a delight! lol

PB on sourdough French bread with a glass of limeade- I swear, sounds like instant death but it really works. Nero Wolfe's excellent cook, Fritz Brenner, once set out to make a PB main dish- the problem, according to him, being to "crack the oil" (I think he was proposing vinegar). Never did find out how it came out.

Gus
Gus

Not particularly weird, but dates dipped in peanut butter is brilliant.

Miss Karen

I don't think it's as weird as some I have seen.... But, both my son and I eat peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Obligatory: toasted wheat bread and crunchy peanut butter.
I also make peanut butter cookies with bacon crushed up inside.

Miss Karen

Oh, I forgot... we also heat peanut butter slightly, and pour it over popcorn.

I seem to recall on some sitcom or another someone putting a jar of peanut butter in the microwave and drinking it. Never tried that, but I did once put the end of a jar with some water in the microwave in hopes of cleaning it out- I found out that the plastic lid and the jar expanded at very different rates- got the peanut butter out, but most of it ended up on my shirt.